Author Topic: English Church Burial Ground?  (Read 555 times)

Offline MJBatten

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
English Church Burial Ground?
« on: Friday 08 May 20 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I found a record for my great grandfather's burial in 1902. It says English Church Burial Ground. Familysearch have listed it under St Cyprian's church, Durban. Is the English Church St Cyprian's and did it have a burial ground? I can't seem to find any old photos of the church or area.

Many thanks,

MJ

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: English Church Burial Ground?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 May 20 11:29 BST (UK) »
St Cyprians an Anglican church is in Umbilo Road Durban and not too far away is Stellawood Cemetery which is where he is probably buried. What was his name?
 http://www.saintcyprian.co.za/
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline MJBatten

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 May 20 12:20 BST (UK) »
It's Joseph Henry Batten, he died in 1902 but I was told Stellawood opened after that, so I don't think it could be that cemetery. I was wondering if it was the church's burial ground or somewhere else?

MJ

Offline MJBatten

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 May 20 15:12 BST (UK) »
It's okay! I have found it. St Cyprian's was originally on Smith Street. It moved in 1903. The West Street Cemetery is next door to the original church, so guessing it is probably that cemetery as there wasn't another cemetery close by and Stellawood opened later. I managed to find a photo of the old church in my Durban Pictorial History book. I can tick that one off the list now. Thank you!