Author Topic: Mitchell Marriage in South Cadbury area  (Read 550 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Mitchell Marriage in South Cadbury area
« on: Friday 08 May 20 23:20 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on a puzzle regarding the marriage of my ancestor John Ryall of South Cadbury.

John was married to a woman named Ann and had four children between 1686 and 1694 (Elizabeth, Samuel, Jane, and Jonathon).

I have found two possible candidates for John's christening

1) John Mitchell christened 18 December 1662 at South Cadbury - son of John and Ann
2) John Mitchell christened October 1652 at South Cadbury - son of John and Ann

I believe this second John (born 1652) married Ann Haggard in 1679. He'd be about 26 when married and 34 when Elizabeth was born in 1686.

The other John (christened 1662) would have been about 17 if he is the one who married Ann Haggard.

Does anyone know if there is another marriage for a John and Ann in the South Cadbury area between about 1680 and 1686?

Also does anyone else think my John is more likely to be the one christened in 1652 if the marriage to Ann Haggard in 1679 in the only one.

Any thoughts or ideas welcomed.

Matt

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mitchell Marriage in South Cadbury area
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 May 20 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,

I notice the 1652 baptism is actually for John son of Richard Mitchell, the 1662 for John son of John and Mary Mitchell. A Richard Michell was a signatory to the marriage bond for John Mitchell and Ann Haggard, so that favours the earlier John. And, as you say, so does the date: men of the yeoman class tended to marry relatively late in life.

But how does John Mitchell become John Ryall?

David

... ah, I see John Ryall is actually the son-in-law. His marriage bond in 1708 also has a Richard Mitchell, more circumstantial evidence for the 1652 John. (Probably not the same Richard but presumably from the same branch of the family.)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 May 20 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,

I notice the 1652 baptism is actually for John son of Richard Mitchell, the 1662 for John son of John and Mary Mitchell. A Richard Michell was a signatory to the marriage bond for John Mitchell and Ann Haggard, so that favours the earlier John. And, as you say, so does the date: men of the yeoman class tended to marry relatively late in life.

David

... ah, I see John Ryall is actually the son-in-law. His marriage bond in 1708 also has a Richard Mitchell, more circumstantial evidence for the 1652 John. (Probably not the same Richard but presumably from the same branch of the family.)

Hi David

Thanks for that. Sorry I didn't make John Ryall's position in all this clear, as you have seen yourself he was the son in law of John Mitchell (John Ryall married Elizabeth Mitchell in March 1707/08).

As Richard Mitchell was a signatory on the marriage bond of John Mitchell and Ann Haggard do you think that the John born in 1652 (son of Richard) is more likely?

Maybe there is a clue in the names of John and Ann's other children, Samuel, Jane and Jonathon.

Of course given that the first child I have (Elizabeth) was christened in 1686, do we think the marriage of John Mitchell and Ann Haggard in 1679 is the right one or could there be another possible marriage in the area?

I'll see if I can dig anything else up.

Many Thanks
Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 May 20 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,

David

Hi David

Where can I see these christenings? Are they are on FamilySearch at all?

Thanks in advance
Matt

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 May 20 18:08 BST (UK) »
Yes, I do think the 1652 John is likely to be the one who married Ann. Of course, as the records from that far back are so patchy we can't be certain.

Ancestry has images of the South Cadbury registers. Transcriptions can be found for free on FreeREG (but search for Michell, not Mitchell). The latter quotes the mother in 1652 as Joane, but that isn't on the image, which actually has just "sonne of Richard Michell Jn." (probably meaning Junior). (There is a "Richard son of Richard and Joan " buried later, so Joan could well be John's mother's name.)

David

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 May 20 21:07 BST (UK) »
Yes, I do think the 1652 John is likely to be the one who married Ann. Of course, as the records from that far back are so patchy we can't be certain.

Ancestry has images of the South Cadbury registers. Transcriptions can be found for free on FreeREG (but search for Michell, not Mitchell). The latter quotes the mother in 1652 as Joane, but that isn't on the image, which actually has just "sonne of Richard Michell Jn." (probably meaning Junior). (There is a "Richard son of Richard and Joan " buried later, so Joan could well be John's mother's name.)

David

Thanks David

I don't have access to Ancestry myself but I'll give FreeReg a check to see what I can find on there.

Many thanks again
Matt

Offline fraya_74

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hello, not sure how to contact you other than via this thread, as I'm generally an observer rather than a poster on here but I think we are connected via the Huson and Ryall family. I know that whenever I search a name you pop up, usually asking the questions I'm looking for an answer to! I'm sure you probably have all the information I have traced as although I have been tracing the tree for about 15 years, it is very much 'part time'. I don't know if as a regular user you can direct message me? Well, the offer is there if you want :)