Author Topic: New Mantra: Stay Alert - Control the Virus - Save Lives  (Read 13478 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: New Mantra: Stay Alert - Control the Virus
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 10 May 20 13:06 BST (UK) »
We are all tired of the lock-down, we all want our freedom back, but not at any cost. I would rather wait a bit longer until we have greater control of the situation. The lack of clarity is muddying the water for everyone which is unhelpful. People are like sheep...it they see that others are breaking the rules they will follow suit, "If they can do it, so can we" attitude  ::)
I fear a second wave if we come out too soon, we can't alter the past but we can learn from it.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 10 May 20 13:21 BST (UK) »
Whatever is announced tonight, I don't think it will make much difference to me and my husband.

We will continue to stay at home, apart from going to collect grocery order, or going out for a walk. I want to live for a good few more years if possible, to see my 5 year old grandaughter grow up, etc.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 10 May 20 13:28 BST (UK) »
We are all tired of the lock-down, we all want our freedom back, but not at any cost. I would rather wait a bit longer until we have greater control of the situation. The lack of clarity is muddying the water for everyone which is unhelpful. People are like sheep...it they see that others are breaking the rules they will follow suit, "If they can do it, so can we" attitude  ::)
I fear a second wave if we come out too soon, we can't alter the past but we can learn from it.
Carol

Absolutely true, carol, but we have forgotten why we went into lockdown in the first place, it was to protect the NHS, enable them to cope with the inevitable deaths.

Now we have partly achieved that it is time to move on,  we still do not know for certain how the virus spreads, we know it spreads rapidly in apre ski parties, in cruise ships, in indoor gatherings, in places where prolonged close contact occurs but not much about what happens in everyday life.

So we move on, try something else and hope we can learn more, if we we don’t move on, explore other options we will never learn about nor overcome, the problem.

There will be a cost, we still have excessive deaths,  more are inevitable, I am not being callous, it could be me or mine, but we absolutely must leave a world worth living in for the majority of young people who will survive.

Mike

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 10 May 20 13:35 BST (UK) »
I gather that Boris has pre-recorded his message, so why is he waiting until 7 pm.to release it ?

I think I'll pop into the gardenat that time and listen to the birds :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 10 May 20 13:39 BST (UK) »
I gather that Boris has pre-recorded his message, so why is he waiting until 7 pm.to release it ?

Maybe because he knows that too many people will be sitting on beaches and playing football in parks doing their daily exercise before then.

Or maybe he recorded two very different versions and is trying to decide which one to use.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 10 May 20 13:50 BST (UK) »

Maybe because he knows that too many people will be sitting on beaches and playing football in parks doing their daily exercise before then.

Or maybe he recorded two very different versions and is trying to decide which one to use.

I think he has several versions, he is on rootschat at this moment, watching carefully, it is after all, the only source of reasoned discussion by people in the real world.

We have five hours to influence which version he will announce.  ;D ;D

Mike

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 10 May 20 13:55 BST (UK) »
Is that Boris sidestepping the Cobra meeting this afternoon and contributing to our discussions on rootschat instead?

Wonder which one of us is really Boris ;D ;D ;D

I had to bring a bit of humour in.  :-[ :-[

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 10 May 20 14:11 BST (UK) »
Talking of Boris, and casting my mind back to to 1970, when we emerged from maternity with this little bundle wrapped in a blanket I suspect the great affairs of state are replaced by more important
matters.

Why is he crying?
Does he want feeding?
I just can’t get the hang of this nappy
Ugh that’s revolting.

No I can’t speak to Matt, I’m busy, tell him to ask the WHO, if they’re open Sundays.

Mike

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 10 May 20 14:22 BST (UK) »
Come on Mike, he's an experienced father .

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***