Author Topic: Germany: Birth record and siblings (if any) and parent info help please  (Read 1346 times)

Offline kugate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for help with the birth of a Frida (other known spellings Frieda, Freda, Freeda) Reinhardt,  April 1879, Yonitz, Germany.

I can't locate Yonitz in Germany, can anyone help with this?  Could it possibly be a miss-spelling/understanding for Konitz?

I would also like any information on Frida's siblings and parents if at all possible.

All help/information most appreciated!  :)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Germany: Birth record and siblings (if any) and parent info help please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 May 20 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Kugate,

Do you have any other details, on where, in Germany ?
There is a german historical gazetteer: GOV, at http://gov.genealogy.net/search/index
Entering "Konitz" gives you 17 entries for parishes, municipalities, villages, etc.
(incl. some variations - Conitz, Könitz).
The site comes up in german, but you can change the language in the left sidebar - "Sprache wechseln"

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 May 20 13:13 BST (UK) »
Going back a step ....

Where does this information come from ?
.... the birth of a Frida (other known spellings Frieda, Freda, Freeda) Reinhardt,  April 1879, Yonitz, Germany.
Is it a typed record (transcription) or do you have a an image of  a hand-written record. ?
If hand-written, perhaps you could post the relevant section here, so that we can check the place name.

(Reinhardt is a common surname in Germany, so any way of limiting the search will be useful :) )

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline kugate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 May 20 14:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply Bob.

The information is from a British internment exemption document (typed), from 1939.  The information on the document (not to hand at the moment) says Frida Reinhardt, Born Yonitz, Germany on 10/04/1879.

As I haven't been able to find Yonitz I've just, at the moment, made the presumption that it may instead be Konitz (Being the nearest guess/match I could come up with.  I may be wrong on Konitz).

The surname spelling of Reinhardt is the most frequent I've come across relating to Frida but on a couple of occasions I've come across it spelt as Rhinehardt.  Possibly not much help I know.

I was wondering, given the date of birth (above) does it make it easier to search German records?  I have no experience of German records but I will give your link a go.

Thank you for your help.

Offline kugate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 May 20 14:32 BST (UK) »
I'll just add, my search for Konitz was via google maps and the most prominent result returned was:  Könitz, Unterwellenborn, Germany.  This however might be totally wrong.  I'm in the early stages for this search so it's, like with a lot of things, trial and error and a process of elimination!

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 May 20 15:40 BST (UK) »
I was wondering, given the date of birth (above) does it make it easier to search German records?
There are not a lot of records online in Germany, as this idea, after the experiences of Nazi- and DDR-Germany, was viewed very suspiciously. In the last few years there are more records online, with more volunteers transcribing for free databases, but still not as many in comparison to the UK. German research usually tended to be finding out at which Registry Office you need to ask. (And when you asked, you needed to have proof of relationship !)

Frida Reinhardt, Born Yonitz, Germany on 10/04/1879.
At the moment, I'm still not sure what to search for. If she was born in 1879 then in 1939 she is 60.
Maybe a silly question, but I haven't actually seen an internment or exemption record, so I don't know how explicit they are with their information ...So is Reinhardt her birthname, or was she married, and this is her married name ?
And if she was married (in 1939) could "Yonitz" be her maiden name, and not her place of birth ?

regards,
Bob

Offline kugate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 May 20 16:23 BST (UK) »
I was wondering, given the date of birth (above) does it make it easier to search German records?
There are not a lot of records online in Germany, as this idea, after the experiences of Nazi- and DDR-Germany, was viewed very suspiciously. In the last few years there are more records online, with more volunteers transcribing for free databases, but still not as many in comparison to the UK. German research usually tended to be finding out at which Registry Office you need to ask. (And when you asked, you needed to have proof of relationship !)

Frida Reinhardt, Born Yonitz, Germany on 10/04/1879.
At the moment, I'm still not sure what to search for. If she was born in 1879 then in 1939 she is 60.
Maybe a silly question, but I haven't actually seen an internment or exemption record, so I don't know how explicit they are with their information ...So is Reinhardt her birthname, or was she married, and this is her married name ?
And if she was married (in 1939) could "Yonitz" be her maiden name, and not her place of birth ?

regards,
Bob

Ref Quote (1):  OK, understood.  It makes life a little more complicated but then the jubilation of success is all the greater when goal achieved.

Ref Quote (2):  I will revisit the document as soon as I have access to it again and will detail any further information here.  The information was on the basic side though (not a great deal to write home about).

As far as I'm aware Reinhardt is her maiden name.   I've found no evidence that she was ever married.  I rule nothing out though.

Yonitz was entered as the place name on the document.

** I have a couple more questions which relate to my German searches but slightly deviate from Frida Reinhardt so will start a new thread for those.

Ref:  'New thread' - https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=830778.0

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 09:24 BST (UK) »
The information is from a British internment exemption document (typed), from 1939.  The information on the document (not to hand at the moment) says Frida Reinhardt, Born Yonitz, Germany on 10/04/1879.

As I haven't been able to find Yonitz I've just, at the moment, made the presumption that it may instead be Konitz (Being the nearest guess/match I could come up with.  I may be wrong on Konitz).

Hi,

Seeing as the record was produced by Brits, they might well have written down what they heard. I would therefore suggest that Yonitz might actually be Jonitz (the German "J" is pronounced like an English "Y"):

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonitz

Just an idea...

Best regards,
Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 12:25 BST (UK) »
The information is from a British internment exemption document [...]

Hi,

Seeing as the record was produced by Brits, they might well have written down what they heard. I would therefore suggest that Yonitz might actually be Jonitz (the German "J" is pronounced like an English "Y"):

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonitz

Just an idea...
And a very good idea too !!
Thank you, Karen - I missed that completely, and it is the most likely explanation.

Bob