Author Topic: Help required please with a 1906 Leicester marriage  (Read 702 times)

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Help required please with a 1906 Leicester marriage
« on: Monday 11 May 20 16:28 BST (UK) »
Just wondering whether anyone could help with details of a Leicester marriage from the September quarter of 1906 between William Buckley S Jones and Lily Elizabeth Hall.

I understand and appreciate that Leicester RD covers a number of areas but I have tried the usual online websites like LDS family search and FreeREG without success. I also understand and appreciate that a duplicate marriage certificate would also assist but I am trying to find as much information as I can without having to purchase a duplicate certificate.

I found the couple initially on the 1911 Census living at Brandon Street, however I can find no trace of them after this. I checked the 1939 register without success. There was a William Buckley Jones listed on the 1939 register but he married Edith Peet and I have therefore discounted them from my search.

I have found a death for a William B S Jones in Leicester  from the March quarter of 1958 aged 75, the dates tie in nicely so I am kind of assuming ( although Mike from Leicester once told me years ago when I first started my tree …........never assume ) that this is probably the William Buckley S Jones I am researching.

I have also found a death for a Lily E Jones aged 34 in Leicester in the March quarter of 1920, although this is pure speculation on my behalf it may explain why I cant find her listed on the 1939 register

Many thanks in advance for all offers of help and information  ;D

Steve ;)
Banbury and Hall families from Leicester 1850 to 1950.

Parfery or Parfrey family from Norfolk or Cambs 1800 to 1900.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help required please with a 1906 Leicester marriage
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 May 20 16:35 BST (UK) »
I've had a look in the newspaper archives on findmypast but can't see anything for either name.

The GRO registration reference can tell you whether the marriage was in a register office or which church. Here for instance is a result of an internet search
https://genealogy.stackexchange.com/questions/12865/finding-where-a-marriage-took-place-from-the-gro-index-reference
You may find one specific to Leicestershire.

Would Lily's death not have been recorded as Lily E Jones?

ADDED: The Guild of One Name Studies has this:
http://www.marriage-locator.co.uk/

Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 May 20 16:40 BST (UK) »

Would Lily's death not have been recorded as Lily E Jones?

Hi Josey,

Thank you for your prompt response, you are quite correct and before I had chance to amend my error you had kindly posted your reply  ;)

Steve

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 May 20 16:49 BST (UK) »
There is also this death in 1925
Deaths Dec 1925
Jones    William B S    62    Leicester    7a   242
Do you have the 1901, 1891 censuses for William - his father may also have been William Buckley...and this is the father's death or it may the the William who married Edith Peet in 1908.

It may be that the certificates are the only sure way to distinguish between the two. What else do you know about your William Buckley S Jones?
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Mvann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 May 20 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

Have you looked on familysearch as Leicestershire parish records are on there (as well as on FindMyPast). If they aren't on there that does end up ruling a lot of churches out. If you have Facebook you might find a couple of groups very helpful. As Brandon street is in belgrave, there is a bygone belgraves page and also you might get some more help on Leicester: Lost relatives and friends page.

Regards

Jon

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 May 20 18:39 BST (UK) »
There is also this death in 1925
Deaths Dec 1925
Jones    William B S    62    Leicester    7a   242
Do you have the 1901, 1891 censuses for William - his father may also have been William Buckley...and this is the father's death or it may the the William who married Edith Peet in 1908.

It may be that the certificates are the only sure way to distinguish between the two. What else do you know about your William Buckley S Jones?

Hi again Josey thank you very much for your latest reply, your continued interest and help is very much appreciated  ;)

Using the 1911 census as reference, William Buckley S Jones was aged 27 so that makes his date of birth circa 1884. Unfortunately that is all I know about him  :(. I have enough information on Lily Elizabeth Jones (nee Hall ) prior to 1906 so I am reasonably content with that. I just dont know what happened to either of them after 1911.

Sadly, both the links you kindly provided in your previous reply failed to return any results, nothing listed on the databases but thank you for providing the links as they were something I was not familiar with  ;).

Many thanks Steve

Hi Steve

Have you looked on familysearch as Leicestershire parish records are on there (as well as on FindMyPast). If they aren't on there that does end up ruling a lot of churches out. If you have Facebook you might find a couple of groups very helpful. As Brandon street is in belgrave, there is a bygone belgraves page and also you might get some more help on Leicester: Lost relatives and friends page.

Regards

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I did a search on LDS family search website and entered William Buckley S Jones in the name box and 1906 in the date box. Unfortunately it returned only one result and that was for a William Edward Jones who married in Leicester in 1914 to Katharine Tew, interestingly and coincidentally St Michaels and All Angels Belgrave was also mentioned.

I dont have Facebook or Twitter, but I will have a look at the Facebook page you mention as I believe my daughter has a Facebook account.

Many thanks again Steve

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 May 20 21:09 BST (UK) »
Looks like it was a register office wedding checking my Leicester info, I did come across one Electoral roll to run by you

1920 Autumn 25 Beatrice Road
William Bucklar Smith Jones with
Clara Jones
William Jones jnr
George Hall
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 May 20 21:25 BST (UK) »
Found Lily's burial at Welford Road, buried in the same plot are

T   214   F   Unconsecrated
JONES   CLARA FLORENCE   1889   APR   6   4   PRESTON STREET   SAINT GEORGE
JONES   LILY ELIZABETH   1920   JAN   10   35   ROYAL INFIRMARY   LEICESTER
JONES   WILLIAM B S   1925   DEC   21   63   25 BEATRICE ROAD   LEICESTER
JONES   CLARA   1944   FEB   7   80   53 NOBLE STREET   LEICESTER

William Buckler S Jones married Clara Conroy Q2 1881 Leics, again no church listing
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 May 20 21:28 BST (UK) »
Look for Clara Jones b c1862 in Leicester in 1939 and you will find William (jnr)