Author Topic: Elizabeth McDonald death 1842  (Read 810 times)

Offline Dougalmac2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth McDonald death 1842
« on: Monday 11 May 20 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I've just found the record of the death of my GGGma in Edinburgh in 1842, The record says "
Interned 8 1/2 D P  S.E. John Grays Head Stone". It doesn't name the graveyard so I presume that at the time there was one major burial ground. I'm guessing also that the location is some measurement from a prominent headstone. Can anyone help me with any info on this please?

Mac
Macdonald/McDonald Kent, Edinburgh
Simpson Lancs
Lomas,Lancs
Fawcett Lancs
Smith Staffs
Freakley Staffs
Gillingham Kent
Varney Oxon
Varney Warwicks,
Humphrey Northants
Mayo Northants

Offline eilthireach

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth McDonald death 1842
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 May 20 18:11 BST (UK) »
No, there wasn't just "one major burial ground"! Where did you get this record? From ScotlandsPeople? And yes, the figures give the measurement of the person's burial spot from, in this case, South-east of John Gray's headstone.

(BTW, the word is inteRRed, not inteRNed, which is a different word altogether, although there is somewhat of an overlap! 🤣🤣🤣🤣)

Offline Dougalmac2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 May 20 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hi eilthireach Thanks for responding.

Yes indeed I did get it from Scotlands People,  it just gave me Edinburgh and I couldn't see any other location.

Mac
Simpson Lancs
Lomas,Lancs
Fawcett Lancs
Smith Staffs
Freakley Staffs
Gillingham Kent
Varney Oxon
Varney Warwicks,
Humphrey Northants
Mayo Northants

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 May 20 20:44 BST (UK) »
It means that the death and burial took place in the parish of Edinburgh, as opposed to any of the other parishes in what now makes up the city of Edinburgh, for example Canongate, Colinton, Corstorphine, Cramond, Duddingston, Leith, Liberton etc. Also not St Cuthbert's Kirkyard because that is listed and indexed separately.

Have a good look at https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files//research/list-of-oprs/list-of-oprs-674-701.pdf.

I think you may find that the kirkyard in question was Greyfriars.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Dougalmac2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 May 20 21:41 BST (UK) »
Forfarian - thanks a lot for that information,t the list of old parishes explained everything. I'm obviously an inexperienced user of Scotlands People, so how did you get to that index in the first place? I've had a quick look since receiving your post and, so far , can't find it.

Mac
Simpson Lancs
Lomas,Lancs
Fawcett Lancs
Smith Staffs
Freakley Staffs
Gillingham Kent
Varney Oxon
Varney Warwicks,
Humphrey Northants
Mayo Northants

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 May 20 22:01 BST (UK) »
St Giles had a large kirkyard on the south side which was cleared away to erect the Parliament buildings but that was late 1600's, what remained is under the cobbles, including John Knox!

Skoosh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 May 20 23:15 BST (UK) »
Forfarian - thanks a lot for that information,t the list of old parishes explained everything. I'm obviously an inexperienced user of Scotlands People, so how did you get to that index in the first place? I've had a quick look since receiving your post and, so far , can't find it.

I started with Help and Guidance, then see guides, then church registers, then scrolled down and clicked on list of old parish registers then scrolled down again to select Midlothian.

I will admit to knowing beforehand that such a list exists. You wouldn't just happen on it if you were surfing around the web site.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Dougalmac2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 11:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that info Skoosh and Forfarian, that's tidied up nicely. Thanks for your time and effort.

Mac
Simpson Lancs
Lomas,Lancs
Fawcett Lancs
Smith Staffs
Freakley Staffs
Gillingham Kent
Varney Oxon
Varney Warwicks,
Humphrey Northants
Mayo Northants