Author Topic: Photo advice wanted - Polaroid instamatic photos  (Read 403 times)

Offline Countryquine

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Photo advice wanted - Polaroid instamatic photos
« on: Monday 11 May 20 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hello

I wonder if any of the experts on this forum could give some advice?   I have a number of black and white photos which were taken with one of those Polaroid Instamatic cameras - you know the kind where it printed and spat out your photo right away.

The big drawback to these are that they fade over time.   Is there any way of restoring them?

I ought to gather them together and scan into my pc before they deteriorate further but thought I would post this now in case something could be done with them.

Thanks

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Photo advice wanted - Polaroid instamatic photos
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 15:20 BST (UK) »
Your best chance is to scan them at a resolution of 400dpi and in colour then post them here to see what we can do with them.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

guest189040

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 17:01 BST (UK) »
As Treetotal suggests scan and post one here

Or

You may like to download and install Gimp and DIY, Gimp is a free photo manipulation programme along the lines of Adobe Photoshop.

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 12:37 BST (UK) »
I would certainly scan them all for your records before they deteriorate further. Why not post one on here and we can see if we can improve it. If we can help, you can then decide if you want us to work on the rest or whether you would like to try for yourself as Colin describes.
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU