Author Topic: Royal or Merchant Navy Please  (Read 523 times)

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal or Merchant Navy Please
« on: Tuesday 12 May 20 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hi can anyone tell me if this uniform belongs to one of the above as cant find any records.
My great uncle Tom Linford Barnes,B1923 Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire.
Many thanks
Debbie xx
Barnes,Driffill,Altoft,Thompson,Metcalfe,Owbridge,
Houlton,Parker,Barrett,Dowse Wild,Kennan all in and around scunthorpe,winterton,winteringham,burton stather,Paull nr hull, Preston nr hull,caistor,market rasen,middle rasen, Storrs -Scunthorpe,Parrett-Hull,Clark -Tealby, Booth,Calhoun- Driffill-Bradford,Londonderry,Ellerbeck- Kirby Yorks,Stephenson- Yorks,Jowett -Thorne yorks,James.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Royal or Merchant Navy Please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 15:05 BST (UK) »
Service records for anyone serving after 1920 are still with the MOD.

See: https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 15:10 BST (UK) »
Almost certainly Royal Navy - can you read the cap tally on the photo?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hi KGarrad, cant get any info from them as i dont have a sevice number,he has family alive but i have no contact with them, all i have is a couple of photos one of him, and one  in uniform hence the reason im searching, ive posted on photo section to see if can be cleaned up, Many thanks Debbie x
Houlton,Parker,Barrett,Dowse Wild,Kennan all in and around scunthorpe,winterton,winteringham,burton stather,Paull nr hull, Preston nr hull,caistor,market rasen,middle rasen, Storrs -Scunthorpe,Parrett-Hull,Clark -Tealby, Booth,Calhoun- Driffill-Bradford,Londonderry,Ellerbeck- Kirby Yorks,Stephenson- Yorks,Jowett -Thorne yorks,James.

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi MaxD, i cant tell from the picture ive put photo on Photo section to see if anyone can clean up and tell me any info any help greatly received as id love to know he always told me stories but dont want to put on here incase it clouds replies.
Many thanks Debbie xx

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi KGarrad, cant get any info from them as i dont have a sevice number,he has family alive but i have no contact with them, all i have is a couple of photos one of him, and one  in uniform hence the reason im searching, ive posted on photo section to see if can be cleaned up, Many thanks Debbie x

You don't need service number!
The forms ask for Service No OR date of birth ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hi KGarrad, Many thanks il send them a request,also ive had a message saying Royal Navy according to someone on Photo section,but if not them do they have records for Merchant Navy also please,
I have had a reply from People on Photo section on here apparently the pic ive posted is to small to do anything with so struck out there and cant get a proper sized one.
Thanks Debbie

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 May 20 18:08 BST (UK) »
I would agree. Almost certainly Royal Navy. I have run his name and DOB through on line Merchant Navy records with negative responce.
A last resort. IF he was Merchant Navy he should have a form CRS 10.
Depending on when he joined it should be here.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10990289
or
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10988308

When TNA reopens you would need to visit Kew To view. Like I say, a long shot.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 May 20 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hi seaweed,many thanks for your reply, can you tell me if the uniforms are the same, i dont know when he signed up he was at home with family 1939 census working locally, thats as much as i know at the moment, im waiting for  a break through on this unfortunately no family members left to ask either, i will take a look at links you have given me, i have contact NA kew, they say that the likely hood of findin anything in Merchant records is slim as they dont have many,i tried posting picture on Photo section on here but to small for them to do anything with and i dont have original to use either. I have  tried all military records on Ancestry also zilch found,  i have sent messages to several Naval website but no response, im not sure what else to do xx