Author Topic: William John Brannan, born Brampton area, in 1875  (Read 720 times)

Offline Smilingwillowb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William John Brannan, born Brampton area, in 1875
« on: Wednesday 13 May 20 15:16 BST (UK) »
      I'm researching a William John Brannan who is remembered on a memorial plaque in what was the Royal Albert Asylum, Lancaster. From a newspaper report of the plaque's unveiling, he was born in 1875, and when aged ten was admitted to the asylum - it was for children who would now be classed as having a learning disability - and remained for seven years, which was usually the maximum period of time that children were allowed to stay there. He'd done well at school and in the workshop, but was unable to get employment after leaving, circa 1892, and then enlisted in the 13th Hussars, a cavalry regiment. I quote from what someone else has commented about his enlistment: - "Should a man pass the Medical, recruit training for the Cavalry was rigorous. Recruits spent some six to eight months in preliminary drill (gymnastics, fencing and stable work) then ninety to 120 hours of riding drill, saddling, packing and the use of arms on horseback. Then the recruits had to do the same musketry course as the foot soldiers. Once qualified, a cavalryman had a much more arduous schedule; caring for horses on a daily basis and maintaining saddlery and stables." It's possible that Brannan was accepted into the regiment more as an orderly, doing general duties in stables, etc., rather than as an active trooper.
      The regiment sailed to South Africa in December 1899, and took part in the battle of Colenso during the Boer War. However, Brannan wasn't present at the battle as his posthumous medal award shows. Later he was given employment as a military hospital orderly, where he died of enteric fever on 13th May 1900.
      He was posthumously awarded the Queen's South Africa medal with a 'Natal' clasp; this would presumably have been sent to whoever he had nominated as his next-of-kin.
      The only William John Brannan to appear in the GRO birth registrations in 1875 was born in the Brampton Registration District. Other than the name, I have no link between the Brampton Brannan and the Army's Brannan, at least until I can access the Lancashire Record Office to check the asylum's admission records, so I'm at a dead-end (temporary, I hope). Can anyone help with anything on the Brannan family in the Brampton area? I've checked some of the Carlisle newspapers for the period following his death, without finding any mention of it, and it's possible that his family weren't notified of it for some time.
      I've written up what I know of his life and death, with a photograph of the plaque, and am happy to add a link to it here, if that's allowed.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: William John Brannan, born Brampton area, in 1875
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 15:29 BST (UK) »
There is a W J B (patient) age 16 bn Irthington in Royal Albert Asylum in 1891
RG12/3468 f116 p13

Possible parents if he is the one whose birth registration you have found
Marriages Dec 1874 
Brannan    Robert       
FROST    Rachel       
Carlisle    10b   817

I don't think that one is right. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 15:43 BST (UK) »
This family would fit a Brannan/Frost marriage. 

John   Brannan   35   Agricultural Labourer   bn Scotland
Isabella    28   bn    Scotland
William John Brannan   Son   6   Scholar   bn Irthington
Thomas Brannan   Son   4   bn Irthington, Cumberland
James Brannan          Son   2   bn Irthington, Cumberland

RG11/5150 f73 p6

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 15:46 BST (UK) »
There is an 1873 marriage John Brannan/Isabella Seed  Sept qtr Stockton 10a 199

Nothing in Scotland with spouse name Frost
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 15:53 BST (UK) »
There are birth registrations Brannan / Frost that would match those boys.  :-\. I must look for them in later census

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 15:56 BST (UK) »
Just found the marriage

John Brannan/Brannen/ Isabella Frost March qtr 1875 Brampton 10b 623
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 16:00 BST (UK) »
Isabella Frost is at RG10/5226 f19 p1 age 16 bn Scotland - servt to William Thornborrow at Gatesgill & Raughton

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 16:21 BST (UK) »
The family are still in Irthington in 1891.  Johns wife is now called Elizabeth age 38 bn Longtown ???  - childrens births still have mmn Frost - William J is not with them.
RG12/4281 f61 p2

BRANNAN, CORNELIUS       mmn FROST 
1884  March Quarter in BRAMPTON  Volume 10B  Page 461

BRANNAN, ROBERT       mmn FROST 
1889  Sept Quarter in BRAMPTON  Volume 10B  Page 469

1901 Cornelius and his brother Thomas are in Byker, young Robert is in the workhouse in Brampton

Offline Smilingwillowb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 16:47 BST (UK) »
If his admission record to the asylum still exists (held by the Lancs. Record Office), it should show where he came from and who his parents were, but his pre-institution history is now clear, and my thanks to you both for your fantastic help.

Now knowing what I do about the Brannan family in Irthington, I wonder if there would have been any further contact with W. J. once he entered the institution; there may be a record of who his medal was sent to. He didn't forget his time in Lancaster - "It was interesting to note that when on furlough Brannan visited the Institution and delighted the children by the splendour of his uniform."