Author Topic: Changi Camp WW2  (Read 764 times)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Changi Camp WW2
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 May 20 11:20 BST (UK) »
Yes he was in the RAF, his name GLYN Roberts born November 1921, Blaina, South Wales.
His parents Thomas J Roberts his mother Sarah A Austin 22 Glanyrafon terrace, Blaina. He joined up between 1939-1942. In 1942, he said he was in Singapore & was taken POW & put in Changi camp.
His family said he was taken prisoner in Italy.
I have a date of 15/02/1942, which is the fall of Singapore, it's either a coincidence or he was there.
Regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 May 20 11:48 BST (UK) »
Were they still in Blaina in 1939?

I had a twiglet who was born about the same time,  and was recorded in 1939 register just prior to being mobilised in the army. At that time he was in the territorials and his service number was recorded.
I managed to track him from newspaper snippets when he was first of all missing and then reported as a POW after the fall of Singapore. Later snippets when his parents finally got the news that he had been liberated from the POW camp and taken to Australia for medical attention before finally being returned to the UK.

It did take me a long while to find the newspaper reports as the OCR produced synopsis is often garbled so  I had to look at a LOT of newspaper editions but it paid off in the end.

Boo

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 15 May 20 12:04 BST (UK) »
Yes he was still at home in 1939 working as a coal hewer's assistant. He was 18.
Many years ago I saw his RAF record which says POW 15/02/1942. That date is significant. Pity at the time I didn't pay much attention to it, I should of taken his RAF no down but when you're young....
I spoke to Singapore Museum but they couldn't help, but they agreed it was significant. My mother Glyn's sister, told me about the family belief that he was POW in Italy.
Regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 15 May 20 12:18 BST (UK) »
I think the only way that you will resolve this without his service number is to order a copy of his RAF records. You'll need his date of birth and a copy of his death certificate.

Both FindMyPast and Ancestry have Allied PoW records from WW2 but there are an awful lot of "G Roberts" listed.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 May 20 12:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone regards Trish