Author Topic: Summer holidays - will they be possible?  (Read 3335 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Summer holidays - will they be possible?
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 16:37 BST (UK) »
Are hoards of people in this country are brain dead?

Yes, I think so.
It was the same in parts of Dorset at the weekend. Virus rate is low there at the moment, but may not be for much longer. I have a vested interest as I have friends and family still down there.

And its not just holiday makers either spreading virus from other parts or catching it if the holiday area has a high level. It's the local resources they use. On Saturday three air ambulances were used to evacuate injured morons from Durdle beach. three emergency beds in two different hospitals were used. Roads have been blocked to emergency vehicles by selfishly parked cars. Car parks were full to capacity. Social distancing seemed to be a thing of the past. Two weeks earlier they set fire to large parts of Wareham forest (an SSSI with rare plants and invertebrates) with disposable barbecues. Council employees in Bournemouth were spat at and assaulted on the beach.
They're worse than animals let out of a cage.
Local councillors have called on the government to introduce a stay local rule. That'll probably fall on deaf ears.

Maybe "brain dead" is too kind, I don't think they had a brain in the first place for it to be able to die.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 16:40 BST (UK) »
And someone had to clear up after the filthy scum

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-52890608

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 16:55 BST (UK) »
Are hoards of people in this country are brain dead?

Yes, I think so.

Local councillors have called on the government to introduce a stay local rule. That'll probably fall on deaf ears.

Which is why Scottish and Welsh governments have moved slowly and have stay local rule/advice/guideline regarding travel for leisure or exercise. Nicola Sturgeon has been accused of "treating people like children" and "micro-managing people's lives". I see it as spelling it out clearly because some people don't have common-sense or can't or don't have time to read the details of every update on government or health website.
Cowban

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 18:09 BST (UK) »
Even if flights and hotels abroad are available, I don't think people will get the holiday they booked. Parts of the hotel may not be open e.g. swimming pools, restaurants and entertainment. When I go on holiday, I don't want to be stuck in the hotel the whole time, I like to go on excursions to different parts of the country. This probably won't be possible if coach travel isn't allowed or places aren't open.

I wonder how you stand then about getting your money back, if the company says the holiday will go ahead? If you say you don't want to go, will that count as you cancelling? 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 18:46 BST (UK) »

Today a petition to close Blackpool is nearing 10,000 signatures, because over the weekend hoards of people flocked to the beaches and left a trail of destruction behind them.

Blackpool has one of the worst CV19 records in the country, so why would any sensible person or family go there?

I've signed the Blackpool petition and started this more general one on the same subject

http://chng.it/My6G7Q5K

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 20:46 BST (UK) »
Even if flights and hotels abroad are available, I don't think people will get the holiday they booked. Parts of the hotel may not be open e.g. swimming pools, restaurants and entertainment. When I go on holiday, I don't want to be stuck in the hotel the whole time, I like to go on excursions to different parts of the country. This probably won't be possible if coach travel isn't allowed or places aren't open.

I wonder how you stand then about getting your money back, if the company says the holiday will go ahead? If you say you don't want to go, will that count as you cancelling?

I think it will be considered that you cancelled and you won't get your money back.  If they can provide the flight and the hotel that you've booked and paid for, then they've done their bit I would assume.

We have booked for Christmas and are just hoping things will be more normal by then.  We don't want to stay in the hotel all the time or even eat in the hotel every night and also want to get out and about.  Who knows what will be happening by then.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex