Author Topic: Rye Denmark  (Read 608 times)

Offline ankerpep_52

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rye Denmark
« on: Saturday 16 May 20 20:57 BST (UK) »
As counties changed over time, Rye, Denmark,  in 1770, was it in Aarhus or Skanderborg?
Also could you tell me when Aros became Aarhus?  Thank you.

BOKOTA-Hampshire & Surrey/ SI(Y)MONDS-Kent, Ldn PAPANICOLAOU-Hampshire /HARTLEY- Derby&Ldn/ SMITH-Ldn/ COLE-Hants & Ldn/ CREED-Berks, Ldn, Oxfordshire/ BRADLEY, DOCWRA & LAND- Islington &Kent/  HUMPHERSTON-Ldn./ ALLEN-Ldn & Surrey/ DOWNEY & DAVIDSON & FITCHARD-NBL & Durham, HARTLEY-Montreal QC Canada
RASMUSSEN-Storring Arhus,& SORENSEN,& JENSEN- Veng,& Hjelmslev, Skanderborg Denmark/HANSEN-Fejo,Fuglse,Maribo,DK

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Rye Denmark
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 May 20 21:10 BST (UK) »
Until January 1, 2007 Rye municipality was a municipality (Danish, kommune) in the former Aarhus County on the Jutland peninsula in central Denmark.

The name originates from the city's location at the mouth of Aarhus Å (Aarhus River). The spelling "Aarhus" is first found in 1406 and gradually became the norm in the 17th century.
In Valdemar's Census Book (1231) the city was called Arus, and in Icelandic it was known as Aros, later written as Aars.[15] It is a compound of the two words ár, genitive of á ("river", Modern Danish å), and oss ("mouth", in Modern Icelandic this word, spelt ós, is still used for "river delta

Offline ankerpep_52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rye Denmark
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 17:34 BST (UK) »
You mention "the former Aarhus county'- Does it not exist now? Has the name been changed?
Is Skanderborg  still a county?  Now I now that Rye was in Aarhus, I say thank you for the correct
information, and the pronounciation of Aarhus-I never would have guessed.
BOKOTA-Hampshire & Surrey/ SI(Y)MONDS-Kent, Ldn PAPANICOLAOU-Hampshire /HARTLEY- Derby&Ldn/ SMITH-Ldn/ COLE-Hants & Ldn/ CREED-Berks, Ldn, Oxfordshire/ BRADLEY, DOCWRA & LAND- Islington &Kent/  HUMPHERSTON-Ldn./ ALLEN-Ldn & Surrey/ DOWNEY & DAVIDSON & FITCHARD-NBL & Durham, HARTLEY-Montreal QC Canada
RASMUSSEN-Storring Arhus,& SORENSEN,& JENSEN- Veng,& Hjelmslev, Skanderborg Denmark/HANSEN-Fejo,Fuglse,Maribo,DK