Author Topic: Help translating Grandad's Records  (Read 365 times)

Offline JessicaSarah14

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help translating Grandad's Records
« on: Monday 18 May 20 05:10 BST (UK) »
Hi!

I have been researching my late grandad Jesse Cross. I am just wondering if anyone can explain/translate all the numbers and information on the attestation document I have attached please?

There is also a document attached  which states he was in The Royal Regiment Of Artillery in 1941, I'm unsure if this is the same as what is on the attestation papers as i'm clueless when it comes to this (I'm only 23 haha)

This is all I can find on him really, I'd also be interested to know more if anyone can help with what countries he went to, any photos, what medals he may have received such as the Burma star etc and also the colour of his uniform.

I'm unsure if I am able to apply for his medals, his next of kin was his wife who died so not sure how this works? His original medals were stolen unfortunately.

ANY help whatsoever would be appreciated as I'd really like to learn more about my grandad as he passed when I was 5.

Thank you :)
plumpton, cross, hickey, heywood, baskerville, smith

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Help translating Grandad's Records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 May 20 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi!

Welcome to Rootschat.   :)

You will need to apply for a copy of his service record:

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

That will give you the details you are looking for.

I'm sure one of our military experts will be along soon to help out.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JessicaSarah14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 May 20 13:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you for getting back to me, I do have some of his service records which I’ve now attached but not sure if there’s parts missing so may look into trying to get a new service book too.

Struggling to read/understand parts of his service book so hoping someone can help with that too!  :D

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 May 20 13:40 BST (UK) »

You should follow Nanny Jan's advice.  That is indeed his attestation record to the Royal Artillery in the first half of 1941.  The bit that has almost been rubbed out is the branch he went to first - HAA - Heavy Anti Aircraft - there were 198 HAA regiments!)

On 18 Feb 1945 he transferred to the Highland Light Infantry and did not leave the service until 23 Jan 1953.  That suggests he had signed up for a 22 year regular engagement in 1941.

Uniform - standard WW2 khaki battledress with a kilt in the HLI.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline JessicaSarah14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 May 20 13:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, I will definitely look into applying for another service record.

I have managed to find his service book, but unsure if parts are missing or whether that’s all I actually need? Struggling to read some parts of it

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it :)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 16:40 BST (UK) »
First one records attendance on a Light Machine Gun and telephony course and driver training with 227 Driver Training  Regiment all in 1941.  In 1944 he is graded an experienced Driver Maintenance

It also records his medal entitlement, the 1939-1945 Star and the Italy Star

The next records some leave periods (the word Nature is a heading and means types ie privilege/compassionate/  I think FW related to travel warrants.
Next medical exams and vaccinations AI category of fitness!
The last is his discharge papers while “on the books” of an infantry holding battalion near home  (parked there awaiting demob!)

You do need his record to show which unit(s)  he was in and when.  He was obviously in Italy but that is the only clue to where he served.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia