Author Topic: Sliblings of James Boyd and Matha Alexander  (Read 972 times)

Offline heath

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Sliblings of James Boyd and Matha Alexander
« on: Monday 18 May 20 06:51 BST (UK) »
James Boyd married Martha Alexander May 1834 First Garvagh Presbyterian Church.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sliblings of James Boyd and Matha Alexander
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 May 20 11:16 BST (UK) »
James Boyd married Martha Alexander May 1834 First Garvagh Presbyterian Church.
The marriage took place on 2 May 1834. Where did they live after they were married? Why are you interested in finding these families? are they connected in any way to your previous Boyd posts?

Few early records survive. First Garvagh is fortunate to have kept many of theirs but there are still gaps. And when dealing with common names (both Christian names & surnames) is is extremely easy to make assumptions which can result in following the wrong family.

Starting with the Alexanders, since marriages usually take place in the bride's church, the 1825 church Visitations show Alexanders in Moneydig (more than 1 family) & Movenis- but remember these records are NOT complete. One of the Moneydig families have a Martha BUT this may or may not be the correct Martha Alexander.
The Visitation and other early 1st Garvagh records have been (badly as I'll show in a moment) transcribed and are online. The only possible Boyds are in Inshaleen (no James) & a Bays (I agree more likely to be Boyd) which the transcribers has listed as Move Misagher being possibly Movaghagher (near Kilrea)- the townland is actually Meavemanougher (often written as 2 words).

Between 1830-1838 there are 9 other Boyd marriages but there could be ones which took place in other local churches, There are also 6 Alexander marriages between 1830-1836.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline heath

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 02:18 BST (UK) »
Jane Boyd yes the rest no. James and Martha appeared to be in Moneydilg and Desertogill. I don't know how far these place are from each other, so they could have moved around. Like you I guessed that Garvagh would have been the place were Martha was from.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 08:45 BST (UK) »
Jane Boyd yes the rest no. James and Martha appeared to be in Moneydilg and Desertogill. I don't know how far these place are from each other, so they could have moved around. Like you I guessed that Garvagh would have been the place were Martha was from.

Moneydig is both a townland and an area as well as the name of a Presbyterian Church there. Garvagh is split between two parishes, Errigal & Desertoghill (sometimes called Desert).
I did not guess that Martha was from Garvagh. Her family still could have attended 1st Garvagh but lived outside Garvagh.

It would have been helpful if you included the details about Jane Boyd in your initial post if you believe James was her brother rather than just asking for siblings of James. However there seems to be a bit of confusion.
This thread says Jane Boyd born c1841 Co.Antrim, father possibly James- then you say William could be a brother
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=606683.msg4561423#msg4561423

Offline heath

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 03:44 BST (UK) »
No James is the father of Jane.

Offline heath

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 03:53 BST (UK) »
I also have found a sister to Jane - Margaret who married James Mccaw in 1866. Her birth circa 1849. At this stage I have not  been able to confirmed any other siblings. Who are the other 9 boyd's that married between 1830-1838, and were any of them a James.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sliblings of James Boyd and Martha Alexander
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 09:34 BST (UK) »
I also have found a sister to Jane - Margaret who married James Mccaw in 1866. Her birth circa 1849. At this stage I have not  been able to confirmed any other siblings. Who are the other 9 boyd's that married between 1830-1838, and were any of them a James.

So why did you say the only link to your earlier posts was Jane when I asked is any of the other Boyds you mentioned were connected ???

Earlier thread about Margaret (Boyd) McCaw-
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=741016.msg5874992#msg5874992

In that thread "Looking for a marriage of Mary Boyd to William McCaw circa 1860-1870" with additional details added when asked "Mary's name also reads Mary Rae, don't know were the Rae would have came from. There is a children Alex, and William (willie) dates unknown, but the family in Portrush - Francis (Frank) b 1904 Portrush Antrim Northern Ireland. Have found them in the census 1911"
You never said who Mary Rae was or how she fit into your query. However, lots of searching was done and results posted which clearly explained that-
1) a Margaret Boyd married James McCaw (not William McCaw)
2) there was not birth or census record for a Frank/Francis McCaw born c1904 in Ireland
- and you never acknowledged those replies on the thread.

Have more to post later.

Offline heath

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 May 20 05:59 BST (UK) »
Mary Rae is not part of this family. And there is no Mary marrying a McCaw. that was incorrect. That was a very old quirey, that no long applies.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 May 20 08:28 BST (UK) »
Mary Rae is not part of this family. And there is no Mary marrying a McCaw. that was incorrect. That was a very old quirey, that no long applies.

On the other thread you started off asking about a marriage for WILLIAM McCaw to MARGARET Boyd. Several of us searched and found information that JAMES McCaw married MARGARET Boyd but you didn't bother to reply. Lots of information about the McCaw family in online records but makes for sad reading. Is Margaret Boyd connected to James Boyd and his wife Martha Alexander (not Matha (which is version of Matthew) as in title of this thread)? and Jane Boyd- is she connected to them? or are you just taking Boyds in the area and hoping they fit into the same family?