Author Topic: Tracing Agnes Donald / George Matin  (Read 619 times)

Offline uggy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tracing Agnes Donald / George Matin
« on: Monday 18 May 20 18:58 BST (UK) »
First  of all i would like to say hello to you all and thank you for all the help that you have give. Due to illness i have not been able to carry on tracing my wife's family.

I am now trying to start again at the age of 75 tracing an Agnes Donald born  abt 1779 at Carnwath .Lanarkshire. She was married to George Martin. I would like to find the parents of Agnes . I seem to have George's parents but when i look at Ann Smellie born abt 1772 in Lanarkshire i am unable to be 100% right .Is there anywhere other than ScotlandsPeople  to look? Thank you all again. Best Wishes

UGGY

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Agnes Donald / George Matin
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 May 20 20:40 BST (UK) »
Is there anywhere other than ScotlandsPeople  to look?
There are lots of places to look online, but there is no point because all they have is either indexes or transcriptions of the original documents which are only available on Scotland's People.

See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

The further back you go, the less complete are the indexes, and the more people's baptisms and banns are missing from the surviving records.

You might be lucky and find something useful if you were able to go to Edinburgh and access other records including the Registers of Sasines and the Kirk Session minutes, but even if you are in position to consider that, you can't at the moment because all the libraries and archives are currently closed because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 May 20 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Uggy. Good to see you back  :)

Just adding your old post re the Martin family for background here www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=573735.0

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 May 20 21:19 BST (UK) »

I seem to have George's parents but when i look at Ann Smellie born abt 1772 in Lanarkshire i am unable to be 100% right

How does Ann Smellie connect to the Martin & Donaldson lines?

Added: See you have her earmarked for George's mother:

George Martin b. 7 Apr 1799 Carstairs, Lanark
Parents Thomas Martin and Ann Smellie

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 May 20 21:59 BST (UK) »
From the index, there is this possible birth for Agnes Donaldson:

Agnes Donaldson bapt. 30 Sep 1798 Carstairs, Lanark, Scotland
Parents James Donaldson and Helen Ling (Lang?)

George and Agnes' children, from SP index:

Thomas 1820
Helen 1822
Anne 1826
Marion 1828
James 1832

Names fit well if they followed Scottish naming pattern (Thomas & Ann - James & Helen).

1841 Census here www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a14dbcdf4040b9d6ee168d0/george-martin-1841-lanarkshire-carstairs-1801-?locale=en

1851 A possibility for George's mum, Ann? www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a14f499f4040b9d6efcd164/anne-martin-1851-lanarkshire-carstairs-1773-?locale=en

1851 George, Agnes and family https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a14f499f4040b9d6efcd12a/george-martin-1851-lanarkshire-carstairs-1800-?locale=en

Monica

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 12:52 BST (UK) »
1861 census, Carstairs (from a transcription)
George Martin, 62; wife Agnes, 62; daughter Helen, 38; grandchildren George Hamilton, 18; William Martin, 4 and Anne Martin, 4, all born Carstairs.

The 1851 census says that George was born in Dunsyre.

George Martin, aged 82, died in Carstairs in 1881. Have you seen his death certificate? What does it say the names of his parents were?

Agnes Donald or Martin, aged 72, died in Carstairs in 1870. Have you seen her death certificate? What does it say the names of her parents were?

If you have not already seen these death certificates, I recommend that you go to Scotland's People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and do so now.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline uggy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 June 20 12:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian. The information that i thought was correct is not. On my tree i entered Agnes  Donaldson. Father James Donaldson, Mother Helen Ling. George Martin's farther Thomas  Martin and mother Ann Smellie . I now need to re check their parents and children . Thank you again.
UGGY

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 June 20 13:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian. The information that i thought was correct is not. On my tree i entered Agnes  Donaldson. Father James Donaldson, Mother Helen Ling. George Martin's farther Thomas  Martin and mother Ann Smellie .
So who were their parents?