Author Topic: RA Attestation Book  (Read 654 times)

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
RA Attestation Book
« on: Monday 18 May 20 19:12 BST (UK) »
Can some kind soul explain the entries in this please?

Rgds

deebel

This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RA Attestation Book
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 May 20 20:30 BST (UK) »
Could you give the name/number please, I want to be sure these are all for the same man and not overlapping from another entry.   Being transferred to the Army Air Corps as a first entry doesn't make sense coming before Royal Artillery training with 51 Training Regiment Royal Artillery (Field).

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Max,

Claude Harris

deebel
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 13:43 BST (UK) »
Rather like the amusing little saying below your post, the entries have a charm of their own and frankly do not add up entirely.

The entry is from 1941 according to the transcription.
The next date is 8 March 1944 when he is transferred TO the Army Air Corps quickly followed on 9 August 1944 when he goes to a Royal Artillery Training Regiment (Field) (I would expect to see a training unit first unless he went as an instructor).
There is the undated entry that says he was re-transferred to Light Anti Aircraft.

The two other entries are 3 Oct 1946 when he is released from the service to civilian life but still with a reserve commitment (Z Reserve Territorial) in case the war broke out again.  The 1951 entry is when that commitment ended, usually age 45, and his was finally discharged.

There is no way on those entries to make even an tentative guess at a time line I'm afraid.  I have checked and there isn't  Royal Artillery tracer card for him.

You would have to send for his record to find out his units and when he served with them..

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 15:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Max,

Would the transfer to AAC suggest parachute training as the individual was described (unattributed) as a paratrooper?

deebel

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 16:26 BST (UK) »
Could have been.  The AAC was an umbrella title that included initially the para battalions, the Glider Pilot Regiment and later the Air Landing Regiments, the Air Observation Post squadrons and the SAS Regiment.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 16:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Max,

It sounds may be worth getting the service record. Appreciate your assistance again

deebel