Author Topic: Translation Dutch --> English please - part of 1866 Civil Registration of Death  (Read 283 times)

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Dear all,

I am so pleased to have finally found the death of a cousin on www.openarch.nl and I am slowly, with the help of Google Translate, working out the pre-printed parts of the form. But, between the handwriting and the foreign words,  I am very unsure of the handwritten parts. Would someone please have a look at it for me?

Here is the link:
https://www.openarch.nl/nha:2fba2b91-bdb0-4893-9928-604733c79b95

With the date of the event I have found a brief death notice in the South Shields newspaper, but no mention of the name of the vessel and I need that to get further information.

His name was John Snowdon Burfield but it is given as John Borfield in the Nederlands record.

Finding his death on that site had unexpected extras! Searching for Borfield brought up his paternal aunt and her husband (Mary Ann Burfield and William Oliver) living in Holland. No wonder I couldn't find much about them in the English records! I think Google Translate and I will be spending a lot of time together (smile).

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I'm not sure why the "name of the vessel" is supposed to be part of this story?

Today on the fifteenth of February eighteen hundred and sixty-six, have appeared before us, the undersigned official of the civil registry of the municipality of Haarlemmerliede and Spaarnwoude,
Willem Tavenier van Cornewal, a labourer, aged twenty-four years, living in Spaarndam, acquaintance of the deceased to be named,
and Jan van den ?vossen, profession policeman,  aged sixty three years, living here,  acquaintance of the deceased,
Which have declared to us that on the fifteenth of this month at seven o'clock in the morning in the house located in this municipality at Hoogendijk A number 52, at the age of twenty-five years, John Borfield has died, unmarried, profession ship carpenter, born in South Shields in England and residing here, Son of John Borfield, deceased and of Elizabeth Snowden, residing in South Shields in England

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Thank you TreeSpirit. Now I am really confused as the family story has always been that he was washed overboard from a ship off the coast of Holland. That is why I was searching for the name of the vessel so that I could look for a crew agreement, which would have given me his position aboard and his signature.

His father, his maternal grandfather and two maternal uncles had been Master Mariners, but his mother did not want her only son going to sea. For several years he had been clerk to his shipbroker (and last) maternal uncle. We had the impression that he was aboard on that voyage in the capacity of supercargo. Hhhhhmmm. ...The mystery continues.

I shall try to find out more about the building at Hoogendijk A #52. Perhaps it was a seaman's hostel and he died there in his sleep, so death not discovered until morning roust-out???????

Thank you for this translation. It has given me much to think about.

Cheers,
Westoe