Author Topic: McGookin Family (East Antrim)  (Read 1987 times)

Offline MikeK88

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McGookin Family (East Antrim)
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 28 April 24 12:30 BST (UK) »
You should be able to see the relatives that I entered into WikiTree.  Giulio (my grandfather) had a daughter, Elsie; a son Giulio, who you remember; plus other children, including my mother.  Giulio (senior) was married three times.  You can't see my mother's name on WikiTree because she's still living and I kept her info private.

I'll have to tell my mother, to see what else she remembers.  Keep in mind that my mother left Scotland in 1958.  Maybe my mother and your mother never met?

The fish and chips place may have also sold ice cream, I don't know.  But they had an ice cream place in Belfast (Tog's Ices) before moving to Scotland.

Offline Elainemcl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 28 April 24 12:43 BST (UK) »
I don't really know much about who owned what . I will speak to my mother tomorrow about it she would remember better than me. I remember icecream was sold from the fish and chicken bar which is what the chip shop was called if I remember correctly . Their son John opened a chip shop facing the castle I ll ask my husband what the name of it was  I think it was the castle chippy x

Offline Elainemcl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 28 April 24 12:45 BST (UK) »
It would be handy if u had some way of  sending me your mums name. If you can pm me or similar  but I understand wish to retain your mum's privacy

Offline MikeK88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 28 April 24 14:00 BST (UK) »
Does your mother want to talk to her?  I can ask my mother.  Keep in mind, she's 92.  Tell me again how your mother is related?

Offline Elainemcl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 28 April 24 15:35 BST (UK) »
It's unlikely mum would have the time .  She is 89 this year and everyday she has her sister come to her  , her sister is very poorly  so mum has to basically do everything for her!
My mum is not directly related to Artie  only through marriage. My dad was a cousin of John mcGookin my maiden name was mcgookin.  My grandfather was William james mcgookin. He was a brother of artie .
I believe they built carrickfergus cinema together

Offline MikeK88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 28 April 24 16:11 BST (UK) »
Is your mom related to Elsie?  Giulio (junior) is my mother's stepbrother (same father, different mother).

I'd want to thoroughly understand the situation before saying anything to my mother.  Her father, Giulio (senior), was married to another woman while he had three children with my grandmother.  Elsie was a daughter from Giulio's first marriage.  Not sure if he had any children with his second wife.  My grandmother was his third wife.  They didn't marry until my mother was about 10.  She had two older brothers, one of whom was given away at birth and she didn't know about until about 20 years ago.  Her father had financial trouble and died after being hit by a truck.  So some of this I know for a fact she doesn't want to remember.

Offline Elainemcl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 28 April 24 16:20 BST (UK) »
No  my father was related to Arthur .  Arthur  was my father's uncle  so he would've been my great uncle . We have no relation to Elsie other than through marriage . Sorry if I led u to believe anything different .

Offline MikeK88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 28 April 24 16:25 BST (UK) »
Do you have any pictures of Elsie or Giulio?

Offline Elainemcl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 28 April 24 16:28 BST (UK) »
No sorry we don't I ll check with mum but I doubt it.