Author Topic: General discussion on current situation  (Read 12687 times)

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: General discussion on current situation
« Reply #207 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 10:03 BST (UK) »
I wonder why there is not any uproar on this forum about the following Labour MPs who have flouted the lockdown rules …..

I'm pretty sure that if they were the party in power,  making the rules and telling everyone to stay at home, they would have been receiving exactly the same attention.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 10:27 BST (UK) »
I wonder why there is not any uproar on this forum about the following Labour MPs who have flouted the lockdown rules whereas there has been a lot of outrage stirred up in the main by the media being consevative with the truth and indeed lying about events about Dominic Cummins. Who according to not only the written down lockdown laws and guidelines has not broken any laws or rules, even the Attorney General, Suella Braverman  has stated Dominic Cummings has broken no laws.

Welsh Secretary Vaughan Gething  who went for exercise  in Wales (allowed) but stopped to eat with his family at a time when such picnics were prohibited

Steven Kinnock who drove hundreds of miles to see his parents on his dad's birthday and was urged by the police to obey the regulations

Tahir Ali who went to a funeral with many other people (Birmingham City Council limits mourners at a funeral to six ) and was criticised as "totally irresponsible" by West Midlands Police and Crime Commissioner, David Jamieson.  (Gatherings in public of more than two people who do not share a household have been banned under coronavirus lockdown measures.)

Kevan Jones (Durham MP) breaking the rules, along with some police officers, to attend a VE Day-themed birthday party for a 100-year-old constituent.

Cheers
Guy

As far as I am aware, none of the people you mention were displaying symptoms of coronavirus at the time of their journeys / meetings unlike Dominic Cummings. If his vehicle had broken down on the journey or been involved in an accident, there could have been quite serious consequences for anyone coming to his assistance.

Dominic Cummings has considerable power, the other three are opposition MPs who have no say in government policy.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 10:35 BST (UK) »
Who according to not only the written down lockdown laws and guidelines has not broken any laws or rules, even the Attorney General, Suella Braverman  has stated Dominic Cummings has broken no laws.

Cheers
Guy
If he hasn't broken any laws then why have we been on lockdown?  Surely it was to prevent the spread of the virus.  He has admitted he travelled 260 miles with his wife who had the virus.  What was it about the instructions 'If you have the virus, stay at home' didn't he understand?  Also, he has admitted driving a 60 mile round trip 'to test his eyesight'.  That is not acceptable even in normal conditions.  If you consider your eyesight is not good enough to drive, get your eyes tested or do not drive.  These are the rules we ALL abide by. 

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 10:47 BST (UK) »
Gadget the Minister who has resigned is Douglas Ross, Conservative MP for Moray. A junior minister at the Scottish Office.

I wonder if there will be any more resignations to come?

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 10:54 BST (UK) »
Picked it up a few seconds after I posted, Dorrie. I think this story will run a bit longer yet!

I see that the ONS figures have come out showing a slight rise in excess deaths to May 15th (even after allowance for  no registrations on VE day holiday).  This is especially clear in care home deaths.

PS - a few more Tory MPs tweeting disapproval.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 11:04 BST (UK) »
NRS figures due out tomorrow so we will see how Scotland is doing.

I too think that it is not over yet.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 11:14 BST (UK) »
What I can't understand is that, apparently there have been many inconsistencies between his story and an article that his wife wrote about their time in isolation. Also, his wife can drive and must have recovered from whatever she had as she accompanied the child to hospital. So, when they wanted to return to London, why did he have to do a test drive 30 miles each way to see if his eyesight was okay?  This trip just happened to be on his wife's birthday! Why couldn't they have returned to London sharing the driving?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 11:21 BST (UK) »
https://twitter.com/HaggardHawks/status/1264979700465700864?s=20

For the historians amongst us   ;) a startlingly appropriate reference regarding the beauty spot in question.

"Barnard Casle -  historic term as in "Come, come, that's Barney Castle" , an expression often used when a person is heard making a bad excuse in an even worse cause......"
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 11:27 BST (UK) »
There are quite a few 'blue plaques' in Barnard Castle.
Yesterday a new one appeared  ;D https://www.itv.com/news/2020-05-25/dominic-cummings-was-lurking-here-barnard-castle-sign-pokes-fun-at-alleged-visit/

For the historians amongst us   ;) a startlingly appropriate reference regarding the beauty spot in question.

"Barnard Casle -  historic term as in "Come, come, that's Barney Castle" , an expression often used when a person is heard making a bad excuse in an even worse cause......"

It's in the dialect dictionary too
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk