Author Topic: General discussion on current situation  (Read 12639 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: General discussion on current situation
« Reply #216 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 11:29 BST (UK) »
Trip Advisor removed a lot of very witty reviews about the place as well. They now have a notice on the page saying that due to recent events they have  temporarily suspended publishing new reviews.  ;D ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 11:31 BST (UK) »
Trip Advisor removed a lot of very witty reviews about the place as well.

I managed to read them before they were removed  ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 11:32 BST (UK) »
There were plenty of holes in the statement but I think it was probably good enough for him to keep his job and for the current anger to subside. He came up with something that, however unlikely it seems, it would be hard to disprove.
The damage is done though, to the credibility of the government's efforts during and post-lockdown. Ultimately, it will mean more people taking chances or ignoring guidelines, which will surely result in extra deaths.
He'll keep his job but that's not the most important thing here.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 11:35 BST (UK) »
Rumours that the 1922 committee might get involved - and you know what happens when they flex their muscles.

PS - Wayback Machine search by journalists and others  has found certain amendments to a blog
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 11:39 BST (UK) »
Who according to not only the written down lockdown laws and guidelines has not broken any laws or rules, even the Attorney General, Suella Braverman  has stated Dominic Cummings has broken no laws.

Cheers
Guy
If he hasn't broken any laws then why have we been on lockdown?  Surely it was to prevent the spread of the virus.

Yes we have been on lockdown to help prevent the spread of the virus.

He has admitted he travelled 260 miles with his wife who had the virus.  What was it about the instructions 'If you have the virus, stay at home' didn't he understand?

First we have learnt that neither he, nor his wife had the virus, they just thought that because he was in a work enviroment where many others had succumbed to the virus so they assumed that was what was affecting his wife and later him.
You have also missed out the rest of the guidance which includes-

"2. Staying at home
It is still very important that people stay home unless necessary to go out for specific reasons set out in law. These include:
for work, where you cannot work from home
going to shops that are permitted to be open – to get things like food and medicine, and to collect goods ordered online or on the phone
to exercise or spend time outdoors for recreation
any medical need, to donate blood, avoid injury or illness, escape risk of harm, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person"

The journey to Durham was to prevent harm to their 4 year old son if their worst fears were confirmed and they succumbed before they could make arrangements for him.

Also, he has admitted driving a 60 mile round trip 'to test his eyesight'.  That is not acceptable even in normal conditions.  If you consider your eyesight is not good enough to drive, get your eyes tested or do not drive.  These are the rules we ALL abide by. 

Rishile

This is one of those edited parts that changes the meaning of what was said, yes earlier he said that when he was very ill he thought the illness affected his eyesight but he also said he became very weak and at one time he could not stand, his wife talked to him about the wisdom of driving back to London so they decided to take a short drive to see if he could safely manage to drive back.
That to me means the main reason for the test drive was to see if he could cope with the rigours of driving not to check his eyesight.

It is very obvious that there is a lynch mob in media circles out for his head and they are going to take this opportunity to attack him no matter what the truth is.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 11:48 BST (UK) »
His story and his wife’s differ between the earlier versions - in the Spectator and his wife’s ‘Thought for the Day’ broadcast and the most recent broadcasts.
If they knew they were entitled to drive that distance, whilst believing that one or the other was stricken with disease, why was it not mentioned in April?
The article and broadcast were based on personal experiences of coping with the virus.
What I do disagree with, is the way the child has been used to defend his behaviour and to imply that critics are disregarding the child’s welfare.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 11:51 BST (UK) »
I think I should make it clear I have no time for Dominick Cummings, but I also have no time for lynch mobs and victimisation.

If he was simple a shop assistant do you think the trade unions would sit quietly while he was attacked like this and people demanded he was sacked, no they would be up in arms and would threaten strike action if that happened.
Do not forget he has not broken any rules or any laws, if you do not believe me check out the various laws and guidelines on the subject and you will find he has acted in accordance to the Law of the Land and the provisions of the guidelines.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 12:11 BST (UK) »
Also, he has admitted driving a 60 mile round trip 'to test his eyesight'.  That is not acceptable even in normal conditions.  If you consider your eyesight is not good enough to drive, get your eyes tested or do not drive.  These are the rules we ALL abide by. 

Rishile

This is one of those edited parts that changes the meaning of what was said, yes earlier he said that when he was very ill he thought the illness affected his eyesight but he also said he became very weak and at one time he could not stand, his wife talked to him about the wisdom of driving back to London so they decided to take a short drive to see if he could safely manage to drive back.
That to me means the main reason for the test drive was to see if he could cope with the rigours of driving not to check his eyesight.

It is very obvious that there is a lynch mob in media circles out for his head and they are going to take this opportunity to attack him no matter what the truth is.
Cheers
Guy

This is from the transcript:

On Sunday 12 April, 15 days after I had first displayed symptoms, I decided to return to work. My wife was very worried, particularly given my eyesight seemed to have been affected by the disease. She didn't want to risk a nearly 300-mile drive with our child, given how ill I had been. We agreed that we should go for a short drive to see if I could drive safely

How has the meaning been changed? 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 12:15 BST (UK) »
He is not a shop assistant though, Guy,  and therefore there can not be a comparison.

I have heard the various claims that his actions were legal but I cannot find the relevant ‘laws and guidelines’ you refer to but I am sure they are there somewhere as you know of them.

Mr Gove has just referred to his (Mr Cummings) being ok to drive at the time - however that has only been allowed since last week, so ministers get mixed up too  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk