Author Topic: General discussion on current situation  (Read 12638 times)

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: General discussion on current situation
« Reply #279 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 21:08 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if anyone else remembers Black Wednesday (Sept 1992) but I feel that the vibes are very similar to then.

The latest YouGov poll is out and makes worrying reading for Boris.

I remember black Wednesday, that’s what happens when you choose a nice honest but weak prime minister.

Mike

Sorry, but I can't let this pass without a comment.

My late OH and I were in business at the time and knew that somebody appeared to be playing the market.  Whotever it was had already collapsed the currencies of two smaller countries and it seemed the UK and France would be next in line.  That's the basic, somebody will now possibly enter the debate and explain about the ERM.

This particular speculator had fun collapsing currencies and when the value reached rock bottom he bought up as much as he could at a massive profit.

It happened that we were next in line, the speculator bought Sterling then suddently sold the lot - this caused panic and other holders of Sterling hurriedly sold their Sterling too hoping that the value hadn't dropped too much.  The value had more or less reached rock bottom despite our government buying up our own Sterling.. JM phoned the German Chancellor at the end of the day and asked him as a matter of urgency to speak with the German Bundesbank, we explained that by quietly giving the German bank UK money/gold the German bank could make a show of buying up Sterling and the market value would steady up and maybe even increase in value.  A few years later the now ex German Chancellor confirmed what JM had asked and our television screen showed his fat face grinning when he said that instead of treating the matter urgently he had waited until the next working day before speaking with the German central bank, but by that time it was too late.   The next weak currently was the French Franc, and as expected the billionaire started his game with the Franc, but guess what; the Germans stepped in immediately and saved the French Franc.

George Soros, the world-renowned billionaire investor, made his name on Black Wednesday by betting against the pound and making a staggering £1 billion.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 21:33 BST (UK) »
I still remember the interest rates going up and up and up
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline confusion

• RootsChat Senior
  • I was born poor - and still have all of it
    • View Profile
Willey, Berry, Cox, Davis, Haddock, Hutton, Griffiths/Griffin, Tanner - Worcestershire
Cox, Dudley, Harris, Moore, Neville, Payne - Warwickshire
Chambers, Douds, Dryden, Given, Hamilton, Hassan, McPherson, McWhirter, Simpson, Taggart, Vauls, Whiteside - Ireland/Scotland, Northumberland
Challis, Halls, Heady, Grove, Lawrence - Essex
Foxwell, Imm, Ward - Gloucesteshire
Heady, Collis, Griffin - Hertfordshire
Hurling - Middlesex
Willey, Imm - Monmouthshire
Imm, Hamilton, Hedge, Majury, Sollis - US

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 21:37 BST (UK) »
But Durham to Barnard Castle is about 25 miles and 40+ minutes, so hardly a 'short drive'.

The Barnard Castle trip was about 60 miles in all and totally illegal if he was having concerns about his eyesight and ability to drive.  Not sure what the current level of fine is for being in charge of a vehicle whilst unfit through medical reasons since it's some years since I've sat on the bench. But I can assure you that any such charge would be taken very seriously, and even more so if the defendant had knowingly and recklessly endangered a child because of their behaviour.

Aside from the fact of feeling unwell, not seeing clearly, etc., etc.  one doctor on TV today was quite furious that the parents had sat in the confined space of a car with a four year old child for several hours, thus overloading the child's immune system with the Covid Virus - such an overload to the system could have killed the child and/or caused serious damage.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 21:41 BST (UK) »
I still remember the interest rates going up and up and up

Interest rates plus rate of inflation !   Our small overdraft became worryingly large.

Unlike today when the monthly mortgage payment is deducted upon receipt, I think in those days those with a mortgate paid monthly but the payments were only deducted from the annual total which had burgeoned due to inflation and interest rates.

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 21:58 BST (UK) »
Is this the real reason for the vitriolic relentless attack by the MSM?

https://britannianews.co.uk/2020/05/26/pro-eu-establishment-angered-dominic-cummings-brought-down-a-pro-eu-establishment-plot-to-extend-the-transition-period-organised-while-he-and-boris-fell-ill/?utm

Which minion did they think would sign such a deal I wonder.   I'd be interested to see if it included handing over part of our waters again. 

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 21:59 BST (UK) »
That's a very good point about the car journey with a child, Rena.  It is interesting that the degree of exposure to the virus does seem to have a huge impact on the seriousness of the infection if it is passed on.  This is why, I believe, so many NHS staff have become so seriously ill after contracting covid-19. 

Britannia News , cited by Confusion, by the way is a minority interest  publication which thrives on promoting conspiracy theories and racism,  and confusing the electorate with its own agenda.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 23:47 BST (UK) »
And Matt Damon and his family have been in Dublin for two months. He was filming when the lockdown was enforced.

But I don't think he was in an Uncivil War. Cumberbatch played Cummings  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 00:14 BST (UK) »
 ;D  While over in Australia,  we have just had a current positive to the virus develop in a person who was a passenger in the cruise ship, Ruby Princess, ten WEEKS ago. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.