Author Topic: Boer War  (Read 764 times)

Offline walkergoulden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Boer War
« on: Thursday 21 May 20 08:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to find my Great Grandad, Alfred Henry Walker born 12.6.1875 (possibly 1876 I think there was some lying on future war records).  I can not find him between the 1891 census and his marriage to Sarah Elizabeth Fletcher in July 1905.  He was living in Fountayne St, York in 1881, his family were all from York.  Then he moves to Leeds after his wedding where he is a hairdresser, shown on the 1911 census at 1 Colmore Road Leeds. 

He fought and died in the first world war, Private 118425 RASC, at 20th C.C.S Charleroi France.

I am wondering if I can't find him because he may have been fighting in the Boer war.  Can anyone help me see if there is anything anywhere in the Boer War records for him?

Thanks

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Boer War
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 May 20 09:32 BST (UK) »
Doesn't come up here:

https://www.angloboerwar.com/name-search

There are some A H Walker and a multitude of A Walker names on the Boer War medal roll but initials only and no other identifying info.  No service records apparent.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline walkergoulden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 May 20 11:14 BST (UK) »
ok thanks anyway

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 May 20 11:48 BST (UK) »
Find My past has an Alfred Walker service number 5709, serving with the 1st Battalion, The Duke Of Wellington's (West Yorkshire Regiment) attached to 15 battalion Mounted Infantry who was awarded the DCM (Distinguished Conduct Medal) gazetted on 10 Sept 1919. It is odd that it was gazetted then because the action it was awarded for was in 1901. With it being a West Yorkshire Regiment this could possibly be your man.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 May 20 12:33 BST (UK) »
Find My past has an Alfred Walker service number 5709, serving with the 1st Battalion, The Duke Of Wellington's (West Yorkshire Regiment) attached to 15 battalion Mounted Infantry who was awarded the DCM (Distinguished Conduct Medal) gazetted on 10 Sept 1919. It is odd that it was gazetted then because the action it was awarded for was in 1901.

The Alfred Walker 5709 who served in the Boer War with Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment had a wife Alice and a son (Clarence?) and his DCM was Gazetted in 1901. He was discharged in February 1914. 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 May 20 13:03 BST (UK) »
It is obviously not him then, oh well back the drawing board.

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 May 20 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to find my Great Grandad, Alfred Henry Walker born 12.6.1875 (possibly 1876 I think there was some lying on future war records).  I can not find him between the 1891 census and his marriage to Sarah Elizabeth Fletcher in July 1905.  He was living in Fountayne St, York in 1881, his family were all from York.  Then he moves to Leeds after his wedding where he is a hairdresser, shown on the 1911 census at 1 Colmore Road Leeds. 

He fought and died in the first world war, Private 118425 RASC, at 20th C.C.S Charleroi France.

I am wondering if I can't find him because he may have been fighting in the Boer war.  Can anyone help me see if there is anything anywhere in the Boer War records for him?

Thanks

The GRO does not have an Alfred Walker registered in York during 1875 but it does an Alfred Henry Walker registered Q4 in 1876 with the mother's maiden name Fletcher, is that him?

Offline walkergoulden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 May 20 12:38 BST (UK) »
this sounds like him, his mothers name was Eliza Charlotte Fletcher (his wife's maiden name was also Fletcher, something I am looking in to)

Offline walkergoulden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 May 20 13:07 BST (UK) »
I think I have realised what I have done, I have taken the DOB of his widow from the war pension that shows his date of death and cause.  Rookie mistake can tell I am new to this.

So