Author Topic: Adventurers of Purse and Person, Families A-F  (Read 601 times)

Offline Nick93

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adventurers of Purse and Person, Families A-F
« on: Friday 22 May 20 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hey there, everyone. This is in reference to a thread I made yesterday:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=831409.0

Regarding trying to find information on Mary Reade, daughter of Francis Reade and wife of Edward Davis, of King and Queen County. It seems most of Adventurers of Purse and Person, Families G-P is online in Google Books. I managed to find the section on Francis Reade, but when it got to the list of his offspring by his wife, Jane Chisman, it said "see Chisman" for that information, in the previous volume.

Looking online, it seems the book is quite expensive, from 80 to 100 dollars, and seeing as I'm only looking for one section, about Francis Reade's children by Jane Chisman (specifically what became of Mary Reade who married Edward Davis), I was hoping, if someone already has a copy of the book, if they could tell me if there is any relevant information in there. I'd really appreciate it.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurers of Purse and Person, Families A-F
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 May 20 22:51 BST (UK) »
if you live in the US type your zip code into this site and it will tell you some libraries near you that have the book.

https://www.worldcat.org/title/adventurers-of-purse-and-person-virginia-1607-16245/oclc/54456619

even if they aren't near you, they might be willing to look up what you are asking for, since it probably only involves a page or two of scanning or photocopying. - If they are open, my local library is starting to open.

worst case, the New England Historic & Gen. Society will do lookups for $$. shop around, the less prestigious Gen. Societies might be cheaper. the colleges might be free.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 May 20 00:11 BST (UK) »
I think I found it!!!!  If you are a "member" of the free access to familysearch, sign in, go to Books, under the Search "button".  Enter the name of the book and scroll down 3.  It says it is Public and below the name of the book are the different volumes.  Click on VIEW on the first entry and that should be it.

Thank you for pointing out this series.  I've got persons in Virginia that I need to search and these look promising.

Offline Nick93

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 May 20 21:24 BST (UK) »
Oh, hey, thank you very much for finding that. Thank both of you. A little bit of progress, maybe, but still no cigar, unfortunately. APP did have information on Francis, and did mention Mary being the wife of Edward Davis, but not information about where they found such info. The will of Benjamin Reade, the brother of Francis, was mentioned, from 1692, and I managed to dig that up on Family Search, but the only daughter of Francis it mentions is Amy. The will did mention some debts owed to Mr. John Massey, of Skiffe Creek, and one of Rachel Davis' sons was named Massey Medearis, so maybe some progress as far as indicating a further connection. There is some family lore, circumstantial evidence, and even a vague letter suggesting kinship between Rachel Davis and the Reade and Washington families. I think confirming that Edward and Mary Davis had a daughter named Rachel would more or less confirm it, but sadly there seems to be no obvious information on this family. Once things start to open up again, I intend to contact the WMQ again and see if they know of what source the marriage between Edward and Mary comes from.