Author Topic: Affleck help please  (Read 616 times)

Offline baldy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Affleck help please
« on: Saturday 23 May 20 07:56 BST (UK) »
Hi All.I am "trying"to get information on Agnes.A.AFFLECK,the only information that I was given is that she was a g/daughter to James Beattie.(was told she may have been 6 months of age in 1901)
The James in my research  DOB was C:-1834.?
I am of the opinion that there may be a connection,but.
I have not been able to locate her & or parents at this time

I would appreciate any help/information on this person
Thanking you in advance
Regards Baldy
Beattie,Sproat,Thom(p)son,Ferguson,Callander,Cook,Wood,Smith,Grierson,Jamieson

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Affleck help please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 May 20 08:51 BST (UK) »
The index at Scotland's People lists only one Agnes Affleck born in Dumfries, in 1875. There are seven births of Agnes Afflecks between 1895 and 1901, none in Dumfries-shire. There are six Agnes Afflecks aged 0 to 5 in the 1901 census, one of them in Dumfries. However there is no matching birth in the index.

In the 1901 census (FindMyPast transcription) Agnes S Affleck, aged under 1, is in the household of James Beattie, 67. Also in the household Are William Kirpatrick, 24, and Mary Jane Kirkpatrick, 23, both married. William Kirkpatrick and Mary Jane Beattie were married in Dumfries in 1900. The transcription on FindMyPast does not state the relationships of the household members.

There is a birth of Agnes Affleck Kirkpatrick in Dumfries in 1900.

Go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, register if you have not already done so, and invest in a few credits. Use 6 of them to download that birth certificate and see what it tells you. Use 6 more to look at the census and see why she is indexed as Affleck rather than Kirkpatrick. You could also get the marriage certificate and see if it confirms that Mary Jane was the daughter of James Beattie.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline baldy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 May 20 02:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the reply
The way things look is that I may have been give the wrong information.
Again thank you for the reply

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 May 20 11:13 BST (UK) »
This is the 1901 census on Scotland's People

AFFLECK   AGNES A   1901   F   0   Dumfries   Dumfries

This is 1901 on Ancestry.

Agnes S Affleck
Relationship:   G Daur (Granddaughter)
Father's name:   William Kirkpatrick
Mother's name:   Mary Jane Kirkpatrick
Where born:   DFS, dumfriesshire

The family but as Forfarian notes there is no birth record on SP for Agnes Affleck but the one suggested seems very likely.

James Beattie 67 James Beattie 19 William Kirkpatrick 24 Mary Jane Kirkpatrick 23
Agnes S Affleck 9 Months William Gillespie 31 Janet Gillespie 27 Margaret Beattie 10
Lewellyn Beattie 7 James Beathe 6

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 May 20 11:19 BST (UK) »

WILLIAM KIRKPATRICK married MARY JANE BEATTIE Dumfries 1900

I guess Affleck would be an earlier name connection.

Colin

Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 May 20 12:15 BST (UK) »
In 1881 James Beattie is a farm servant in Kirkcudbrightshire, he seems to be single

1881 Cottage, Tongland, Kirkcudbrightshire
James   Beattie   Head   Married   Male   48   1833   Lab (General)   Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland
Agnes   Beattie   Wife   Married   Female   50   1831   Lab's Wife   Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland
Elizabeth J   Beattie   Daughter   -   Female   10   1871   Scholar   Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland
James   Herring   Grandson   -   Male   2   1879   -   Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland

1891 - Dumfries, Dumfriesshire – No mention of Agnes after assume died but no record for Agnes Beattie
James Beattie   56   Irongray, Kirkcudbright
Annie M Beattie   19   Irongray, Kirkcudbright
Joseph W Beattie   11   Dumfries, Dumfriesshire
James Beattie   9   ditto
Margaret Beattie   9 Mo   ditto

I guess this is the death for Agnes so I assume they never married, daughter Margaret’s birth was registered in 1890, so it depends on the dates?

KIRKPATRICK   AGNES   60      1889      Dumfries

I believe these are the parents of William Kirkpatrick and the link to Agnes Affleck Kirkpatrick, records from SP would be best to be sure.

AFFLECK   AGNES   KIRKPATRICK   ANDREW   1881   Urr. Kirkcudbright.

Colin

Offline baldy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 May 20 05:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin.Thank you for the reply.The Beattie in 1891 is the one that I am working on.
You and Forfarian are correct in saying that William Kirkpatrick & M.J Beattie were the parents of Agnes in 1901.I also could not find on SP Agnes Affleck.
Will now order birth certificate

Again I thank you for your help
Regards Baldy (au)