Author Topic: Diary 23rd May  (Read 673 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Diary 23rd May
« on: Saturday 23 May 20 14:14 BST (UK) »
Thought I would start of today's diary

Had several things to do by car this morning, went out early to buy plants  from  the local fruit and  veg stall in the village, buy them there every year, then I had to take elastic to my good friend who is making swabs , gowns, masks and mop caps, I had managed to get online  50 metres  of elastic,  being a widow she hates doing nothing and doesn't watch TV,  seems elastic is like gold dust at the moment so I delivered  elastic and  more material  I had managed to get from friends, all of my friends including me have had a massive clearout of our linen drawers and boxes , done  us all a favour, she has made hundreds of sets

Then visited my 90 year old friend  standing at the allotted  distance and promised to see her in her garden next week,

A very breezy day so I took the opportunity to wash a bedspread on my return, what mistake, it is now  raining but the good side is the garden needs it

Hopefully putting in plants tomorrow if the ground is right

Have a nice day folks

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary 23rd May
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 May 20 22:30 BST (UK) »
Sounds like you've had a busy day Louisa Maud. I've thought about making masks for when I finally find the courage to emerge but I don't have any elastic. I read somewhere that you can use hair bands but I think they mean the plain elastic type, mine all have cloth over them. I don't think they'd stretch far enough anyway. Hope you get your plants put in tomorrow.

Diary:

Woke up at 7.30 and actually got up but at least I'd gone to sleep at about midnight, unlike the night before when it was about 1.45 a.m. Put the dishwasher on, had filled it last night. Took my tea back to bed and read for some time. Then out for my walk. What a windy day, it was really strong and knocking the stuffing out of me. A bit calmer in the woods but then I started wondering what would happen if a branch came down and cracked me round the skull so I didn't stay. People dawdling on the path further up anyway.

No chance of any gardening today. Had a look in the garage to see if there was a bradawl, I want one to make holes in the fence before I knock any nails or screws in. There wasn't one so I ordered one off the internet, also galvanised wire for when I get some bamboo or reed screening, that's apparently how you fasten it to the fence. 

Phoned my friend who has been in hospital, she's improving daily. Decided to sort out some paperwork after feeling ashamed after Caroline said she'd sorted out all her cupboards and drawers in lockdown! It's amazing how much there still is in these paperless times, got a lot ready for disposal. Was half watching TV while I was doing it. Cleaned the bathroom. Actually did a bit of family history, haven't had much success in thinking of what to download from TNA and actually finding it, got a couple of files for a friend.

Salmon for tea, the ready frozen type this time, not taking any more chances. More TV.

What a long day it's been. I don't do boredom but I'm finding it difficult to settle to anything. Was thinking about what I'd often be doing on a Saturday evening before all this hit, would be doing my hair and makeup, putting on a dress, heels, jewellery, meeting friends for drinks, hug, chat laugh, maybe have a dance. This Saturday I would have been in Cyprus. Instead I'm living in jeans and tshirts, going nowhere and talking only to myself. I wish I could see the light at the end of this tunnel. 
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 May 20 00:40 BST (UK) »
My you both sound like you've had busy days Roobarb and Louisa ( I had a gt aunt Louisa, never got to meet her sadly)
You're right elastic is like gold dust, when I made the headbands I had to turn everywhere upside down to find some then a friend who'd managed to order some gave me a couple of meters. Well done to your friend for making all those items.
You shouldn't feel ashamed Roobarb, I've not done much since and you put me to shame as you're out walking every day and I don't do that! Now OH back to playing golf that's his exercise..... have to stick to my Yogalates!

Today's diary

Can't believe OH was up ages before me... I'll give you three guesses what he was doing when I came downstairs... that flipping Terry Pratchett jigsaw...

I watched the V & A their exhibition on Kimono's on my iPad  it was very interesting... go quite often to see various exhibitions they have there so it was nice to see it although not the same as in person.

My goodness it's been and still was windy this  morning ... can't believe the amount of leaves that have blown off our sycamore, next doors walnut and other neighbours Linden tree all in our front gardens... they are everywhere.

Sat in the conservatory and had breakfast then a read for a while.

Did some chores in the kitchen and tidied upstairs.
Down to more sewing.... need to finish off last two pairs of trousers and that's another four sets done this week...

Daughter messaged to say did we want a Zoom with them.... daft question... of course we do!

She was busy making lunch, boys outside with dad planting their tomatoes & courgettes plants... suddenly decided to rain there so they hid under the trees in the garden.
Eldest grandson came and chatted and told us the story he'd written about a Komodo dragon that meets a monitor lizard! Such an imagination.
They all sat at the kitchen table and had lunch.... and so did we. We all had lunch together virtually! Boys thought it was funny.

We talked about trying to meet up with them for a walk and picnic, distanced of course and decided if we did Dunstable Downs was about half way for us all.... hope we can do that in a few weeks time...
chatted to them for a couple of hours it was lovely and really cheered us all up I think...
Back to sewing... finished off trousers and cut out three more sets to start tomorrow.
OH cooked dinner tonight, steak, chips, peas, broad beans and several glasses of wine and half a bar of chocolate! So naughty but nice!
He's managed to book two games of golf next week... quite stressful doing it as time slots are  open at 8pm and of course everyone's trying to get on the golf club site! Mission accomplished and two games booked for next week... happy chappy!
Watched tv last couple of episodes of Norwegian programme which we enjoyed...
daughter messaged to say what about meeting up tomorrow...only 1 car park open... don't know which one, limited spaces first come first served opens at 10am... they'd have to decide in morning as eldest grandson got stung on little toe by bee and it's swollen and antihistamines tablets making him sleepy... decided to risky, bank holiday, what if we can't both get parked etc... decided best to wait a few weeks and see how things pan out as much as we'd love to see them, not sure feel quite comfortable about it yet either...mind you after hearing all about PM's aid driving from London to Durham when not well..... one rule for these politians one for rest of us!

Another day rolls by...

Keep safe ,well, healthy and cheerful if you can

Caroline
off to bed for a read
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 May 20 08:53 BST (UK) »
Roobarb
There will be a light at the end of the tunnel, doesn't feel like it now, as I said before we have to be positive

I went out yesterday delivering bits and pieces, I had put my hair back with kirby grips I had bought on Friday , about 18 of them for £2.50, I only needed 4, so by the time I had got to see a friend who is donating any monies collected to a charity for those of us who haven't had  hair cuts since goodness knows when, I need not have worried about what my hair looked like, it definitely was  bad hair day it was so windy, still why should we care, not getting dressed up to go anywhere and I am sure my husband doesn't care either, I just looked windswept all the time

Sunday, very dull this morning but to be honest I hope it rains, well just a little bit to make the ground possible to put my plants in

Have a nice day folks

Louisa Maud

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 May 20 09:04 BST (UK) »
Just trying to catch up ..

Diary

I didn't do a lot to day - catch up things in the morning with shopping, laundry and a bit of pottering with housework.

In the afternoon I went for my exercise again around the beautiful old Preston Cemetery.  Others were doing likewise but we were all socially distancing.

I came across one sad story on an old memorial about  2 men who died in a gas company accident and 3 or 4 other men who died in the rescue attempt.  The stone was erected (paid for) by their fellow employees and not their employers who likely had a lot more money to spare.  I doubt the company would have got away with that these days.  I just hope these poor men's families didn't end up in the workhouse!

(Just en route to a very long day shift now on Sunday)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 May 20 12:19 BST (UK) »
Sounds like you've had a busy day Louisa Maud. I've thought about making masks for when I finally find the courage to emerge but I don't have any elastic. I read somewhere that you can use hair bands but I think they mean the plain elastic type, mine all have cloth over them. I don't think they'd stretch far enough anyway.

Roobarb - I've started making masks just for our own use - I'm making simple ties from strips of fabric, one on each of the four corners. Our daughter a vet gave us a couple of proper masks at the start which we are saving, they have ties which go round the back of the head & neck so will fit anyone. Each tie is 40cm long.

My first attempt was with a bit of elastic I found in the drawer but as I have a small head & ears the loops were too big.

2nd attempt I made them too small. Elastic used up  ;D

So ties it is.....

Good luck

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 May 20 12:28 BST (UK) »
They are easy to make out of cotton and lined, I didn't leave a pocket for a liner but it works, will do next time, tried one out of a sock, disaster,  to stretchy but it was fun.
Elastic can be ordered online which I did for my friend who is busy making them,  if ordered from  the right place it will arrive in days, started off with 10 metres then bought 50 metres.

Good luck

Louisa Maud

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 May 20 13:15 BST (UK) »
They are easy to make out of cotton and lined, I didn't leave a pocket for a liner but it works, will do next time, tried one out of a sock, disaster,  to stretchy but it was fun.
Elastic can be ordered online which I did for my friend who is busy making them,  if ordered from  the right place it will arrive in days, started off with 10 metres then bought 50 metres.

Good luck

Louisa Maud
Good on your friend and you making masks... the group I belong to making scrubs have been having some debate over best fabrics, patterns etc for mask making and so far no conclusive answers... so I'm carrying on making scrubs!

BTW Where is the right place to get the elastic from as I've not had much luck!
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK