Author Topic: Loiret Region, France and help deciphering/translating  (Read 376 times)

Offline ATGoldsmith

• RootsChat Member
  • Researching since 2012
    • View Profile
Loiret Region, France and help deciphering/translating
« on: Sunday 24 May 20 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hello all, et bonjour!

I've just found a really useful website for anyone who needs records from the Loiret region in Centre, France.  The Loiret Archives (archives-loiret.fr) have so many digitised records available for free to view online.

I found a relative of mine, William Berkenhead, who was buried in Montargis after falling ill whilst en route to Bourbon-Lancy with James III & VIII of England (he was the Royal Clerk of the Kitchen).  Would anybody be able to transcribe and translate the record?  My French isn't quite good enough!  I have attached it to this post.

Many thanks!
ATG
British student studying in Poland who loves travelling!

Asbury, Berwick, Birkenhead, Boswell, Campbell, Catlin, C(h)rimes, Clarke, Coles, Crawford, Crowfoot, Denton, Downie, Durrant, Dutton, Eaton, Fairbrother, Goldsmith, Gower, Hawkes, Hepburn, Hulatt, Humstone, Ivory, Kent, Lynn, Lyon, Mahon, Mander, McCann, McGowan, McGregor, McKean, McLeod, McMahon, Meechan, Moses, Nelson, Pelling, Pemberton, Pickstone, Sconce, Stokes, Summerfield, Swannell, Terry, Thorowgood, Tierney, Varney, Webdale.

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Loiret Region, France and help deciphering/translating
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 08:02 BST (UK) »
Hello,

here's my translation

On the 15th of april was buried in the chapel of this parish Guillaume BACKHEAD, butler of the king of England, residing  "presentement"? (now) in France, and general controler of his house  after having abjured Luther Church which he professed until the day before his death ,having received absolution of the excommunication of ( the catholic church ,) after having confessed to the curate of Louroy , and who ,finally provided with the holy viaticum and extreme anounting which he piously received , with devotion and edification ,died yesterday in the castle of this town,approximately  45 years’old

Signed Chastel, vicar

LOUROY may be LOURY now

Offline ATGoldsmith

• RootsChat Member
  • Researching since 2012
    • View Profile
Re: Loiret Region, France and help deciphering/translating
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 May 20 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi joger,

Thank you very much for your translation!  That makes a lot of sense.  It's a shame about the waffle in the middle - I thought there might be more interesting secrets hidden in there!  But at least I now know what it says...

Cheers,
ATG
British student studying in Poland who loves travelling!

Asbury, Berwick, Birkenhead, Boswell, Campbell, Catlin, C(h)rimes, Clarke, Coles, Crawford, Crowfoot, Denton, Downie, Durrant, Dutton, Eaton, Fairbrother, Goldsmith, Gower, Hawkes, Hepburn, Hulatt, Humstone, Ivory, Kent, Lynn, Lyon, Mahon, Mander, McCann, McGowan, McGregor, McKean, McLeod, McMahon, Meechan, Moses, Nelson, Pelling, Pemberton, Pickstone, Sconce, Stokes, Summerfield, Swannell, Terry, Thorowgood, Tierney, Varney, Webdale.