Author Topic: Henry Passmore baptism  (Read 837 times)

Offline greasey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Passmore baptism
« on: Sunday 24 May 20 17:38 BST (UK) »
I have managed to trace my Passmore line from North Molton Devon back to a Henry Passmore and his wife Jacquette, or Jacette as they spell her name on the batism records for their children from Richard baptized in 1616 onwards.  So far I have been unable to find a baptism for Henry Passmore.  He must have been born before 1600, and have estimated his birth year to be 1690 or 1695 in Devon.  I have searched North Molton which goes back to 1539, South Molton, and many of the neighboring parishes such as High Bray, Charles, Twitchen, but no sign of him.  Many trees on Ancestry claim his parents were Matthew Passmore, and his wife Anastasia or Anstes, whom was the brother of a common ancestor for Passmores in North Devon called Mighell (Michael) Passmore c1546-1607.  My line from Henry Passmore is another line of Passmores from North Molton.

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Passmore baptism
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 July 21 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hi I have recently confirmed that I am descended from Philip Passmore of North Molton who was baptised in 1672.

I have spent quite a bit of time working out the numerous Philip Passmores and put my research here: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=847743.0

Philip 1672's son was a Henry Pasmore baptised in 1714 so might our Henries have been linked along the way?

It would be good to discuss this family further with you.

Best wishes,
Jon

Offline greasey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Passmore baptism
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 July 21 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Jon,

I am indeed descended from Philip Passmore 1672-1743.  I am descended from his son Philip 1702-1759.  My descent is then from his son Philip Passmore 1735-1804, whom married 3 times.  His first wife as a Joan Passmore from Cutcombe Somerset, but I can find no evidence that they were related.  They had 2 children John and Christian.  However Joan died in 1769 and Philip married Margaret Kingdon 1754-1790, my ancestor.  She would have been only 15/16 when Philip married her, which would be frowned upon these days, but was perfectly legal in those days.  They had 11 children, but at least 5 or more died in infancy.  I am descended from their son Richard Passmore 1775-1841.  He was a woolcomber, later a chandler and a schoolmaster when he died in 184, just before the census was taken.  His brother Philip 1772-1818 was parish clerk for 9 years, and his brother William 1774-1841 was also a woolcomber, parish clerk and a wool stapler/dealer on the 1841 census.  Their other brother Robert born 1782 was a woolcomber and later was a customs and excise officer.  He left a will proved in 1827 proving this and left money to his siblings as he never married.  He did have an illegitimate child with a Grace Tapp in 1803.  When their father Philip died in 1804, I find it puzzling why he doesn't include his sons William and Richard in his will.  They were both alive.  From Richard Passmore I am descended from his last child and son Richard 1813-1872 a shoemaker.  Then I am descended from his eldest son John Passmore 1838-1903 a miller and then an iron miner in North Riding of Yorkshire, where I still live.  I am actually a Passmore, and my real name is Lee Passmore.  This makes us very distant cousins.  I am struggling to find marriages and documents for Philip Passmore 1672-1743 father Richard and cannot go back any further than Henry Passmore born before 1600.  We are not descended from Mighell (or Michael) Passmore 1546-1607.  Our line is another line from North Molton that may not be connected to him.   :)
P.S. my tree is on Ancestry.co.uk called Passmore Family Tree, with the username lpassmore2.  It is public too.