Author Topic: Kate Alcock Gas leak Foley Street Oct 1957  (Read 1599 times)

Offline bclc71

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kate Alcock Gas leak Foley Street Oct 1957
« on: Monday 25 May 20 12:55 BST (UK) »
I have a relative Catherine (Kate) Alcock,  who died from a gas leak at 81 Foley Street, Dublin around 18 October 1957. I  haven't managed to find any details and wondering if anyone can find a newspaper article about it?  also present were her sister Margaret (Peggy) McElwaine and her son Dermot.

kind regards
Barbara

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kate Alcock Gas leak Foley Street Oct 1957
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 May 20 16:45 BST (UK) »
Irish Press Nov 9th 1957
Evidence from Patrick at inquest
Mr Patrick McElwaine 81 Foley St who identified the remains of Mrs Alcock as his aunt-in-law said that at dinner time on October 18 last his wife complained of a smell of gas. A gas company official later came to them and told them to open their doors and windows.
At 9.30 Mrs Alcock told witness she wanted to go to bed. About 11.15 he saw her bedroom light still on, and found her half on the floor and half in bed. She appeared to be dead.
The dog in her room had been sick and the cat on her bed was dead. A Gas Company official rang the fire brigade and the ambulance men applied artificial respiration to Mrs Alcock and than took her to hospital.

The leak in the pipe on the street was found about 10.30 and repaired by 11.00. The pipe was laid in 1936 and was otherwise found to be in good repair, the fracture caused by unusual subsidence under the footpath. No blame was attached to the Gas Company.

The City Coroner Dr D A MacErlean gave cause of death as asphyxia accelerated by the inhalation of gas.
(Which a younger person would probably have survived)

From death noticed buried Glasnevin.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 May 20 16:59 BST (UK) »
Irish Independent is a bit clearer on details.

She was found unconscious, declared dead on admission to Jervis St. Hospital.
Death was caused by asphyxia of gastric contents accelerated by etc.

Maurice O'Leary of 90 Foley St. first noticed the smell about 5.30 and informed the Corporation.

Mrs Margaret McElwaine went out taking her child with her.
Mrs Alcock complained of the cold (open windows) and went to bed.

Offline oneillbs

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 18:07 BST (UK) »
This lady was also a relative of mine. She was my great grandfathers sister. I have the details of where she is buried .

Offline bclc71

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 July 22 10:21 BST (UK) »
This lady was also a relative of mine. She was my great grandfathers sister. I have the details of where she is buried .

Can I ask please what your great grandfathers name was please.  My great grandfather
Thomas Guilfoyle 1875-1931 is the only brother of Kate Guilfoyle Alcock that I have identified. several sisters but no other brothers.  So keen for any information you have. thanks.

i will message you my email so we can communicate more directly.