Author Topic: Hamiltons of "Culachy"?  (Read 325 times)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hamiltons of "Culachy"?
« on: Monday 25 May 20 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I’ve been given some notes written down from the verbal recollections of Margaret Stevenson (1850-1938) when she was about 80.

She refers to two Hamilton brothers who fought on either side during the siege of Derry.  The younger brother was on the winning side and was granted the family estates by King William.  The elder son’s family ended up at somewhere called “Culachy” (I think – the writing is hard to make out).

I know half this story is likely to be apocryphal, but I’m trying to find Culachy so that I can try to trace the family.  I’m posting this in the Derry forum, but I think it is just as likely that Culachy will turn out to be in Donegal.  (I’m aware there is a Culachy in Scotland, but I don’t think that’s it.)

Thanks,
Gilby

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hamiltons of "Culachy"?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 May 20 22:38 BST (UK) »
Cullagh or Curragh in Co Donegal.  Though it could just as easily start with G.  Or try xxxxough/y ie names with the 'ough' on the end.  We don'e know if Ms Stevenson was replicating the sound or the spelling.  Do you know where she lived?  This might give us a clue as to what she may have heard.   

Here is a wonderful site with Irish townlands on it. 
https://www.townlands.ie/

http://donegalgenealogy.com/
This is a good site for Donegal. 

Have you checked going back the more traditional way from ancestors close to you and then going backwards?

Also if the writing is hard to read what about asking the wonderful handwriting experts on this site. 

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 May 20 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks.  Yes it could potentially be Curragh or something similar.  I’m a fan of the townlands.ie site too and have tried lots of combinations.

I’m reasonably confident of the spelling in my document as “Culachy”, and in one case there is a circumflex over the c, so the transcriber was presumably making clear that it ends in a “ch” noise, like Karachi.  However, as you say, it could be quite different.  “Cul” could equally be “Call”.

Margaret’s Stevenson family “came from Scotland originally but [spent] many generations in Dromore near Letterkenny”.  Her mother was Elizabeth King from Trimragh, also near Letterkenny (Leck parish).  According to Margaret, Elizabeth’s grandparents were James King and Miss Hamilton from Culachy (no dates, but we’re probably back to the mid/late 1700s).

This would point more to Donegal than Derry.  Bedtime now, but I’ll have a look tomorrow evening to see if I can find any Hamiltons of Curragh in the Tithes.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 June 20 18:55 BST (UK) »
Coolachy!  (Thanks to BA who pointed this out by email)

I found this account about the family:
http://lisburn.com/books/hamilton/hamilton2.htm

On the right track now…