Author Topic: Norfolk Island Birth Record for Rebecca Dorset / Rebecca Watson 23 Dec 1792  (Read 400 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
I'm just trying to confirm a Norfolk Island birth record for Rebecca Dorset / Rebecca Watson who was born 23 Dec 1792 to parents Sarah Dorset and Robert Watson.

I've had this date on my records for 20 years, but have never quoted the original source. I would really like to know where I got it from, and is there any chance of getting a copy of the original document for confirmation. I'm sure I saw the original information some years ago, but never recorded it. Yes, that was a bad mistake!

Thank you

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Norfolk Island Birth Record for Rebecca Dorset / Rebecca Watson 23 Dec 1792
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 13:22 BST (UK) »
 >:(

In 1988 there were publications including some with Norfolk Island records.   She's on the 1794 Norfolk Island Residents List.

PS ADD ... She's also on the index of the Biographical Database of Australia.

Sometimes the spelling can be Dorsett

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 11:37 BST (UK) »
>:(

In 1988 there were publications including some with Norfolk Island records.   She's on the 1794 Norfolk Island Residents List.

PS ADD ... She's also on the index of the Biographical Database of Australia.

Sometimes the spelling can be Dorsett

JM

Thank you for those details - I'll try to follow them up.

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 May 20 05:08 BST (UK) »
Norfolk Island Residents https://www.bda-online.org.au/files/NI2_Residents_1788-1814.pdf

Sarah DORSETT
per the Lady Juliana arriving Sydney 1790
per the Surprize to Norfolk Island 7 August 1790
per the Francis to Sydney 2 Feb 1794

Rebecca DORSETT
Born 23 December 1792 at Norfolk Island. 
Departed Norfolk Island 22 March 1794

Robert WATSON
Tried 8 Dec 1790, Old Bailey.  7 years
Per the Albemarie 13 Oct 1791.
OR
Robert WATSON Boatswain, Pilot etc came free as Quartermaster on the Sirius in 1788

Robert WATSON named as receiving land grants for land at Lane Cove and at Norfolk Island, in the 1790s.   Could it be that one of the chaps was at Lane Cove, and the other on Norfolk Island…  BUT WHICH ONE !

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/colonial-secretarys-papers

https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-233989571/view  Settlers Blocks on Norfolk Island 1796

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 May 20 07:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks once again for your help JM

My notes are slightly different in regards to Sarah Dorset(t) and daughter returning to Sydney - I have both returning together on the "Francis" 24/3/1794. You'd think they would leave the island together? At this time there was also another child, Edward, who Sarah had given birth to aboard "Lady Juliana" on her transportation to Australia. Robert Watson adopted him as his son - they both been buried together under the name of Watson.

And regarding Robert Watson, he is the one who aboard the "Sirius"  as crew when it arrived with the First Fleet, and later wrecked on Norfolk Island. He became Harbour Pilot and South Head lighthouse keeper - Watsons Bay being named after him. I'm aware of the land grand at Lane Cove, but haven't researched it. I'm led to believe its the same Robert Watson?

Les