Author Topic: Henry Smith 1809 cordwainer/bootmaker Gloucester/Cheltenham  (Read 602 times)

Offline jordanamelia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Smith 1809 cordwainer/bootmaker Gloucester/Cheltenham
« on: Tuesday 26 May 20 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I recently found my 4X GG Benjamin Arthur Smith was born in 1835 Cheltenham he ended up moving to Ireland as a music teacher/piano tuner. On his marriage certificate (to a Mary Kempson in Wexford, Ireland) his father is listed as Henry Smith. I found his baptism 13 Sep 1835 father Henry Smith - cordwainer, mother Ann Smith but can't find her maiden name. I also found him on two census' in Cheltenham with his parents Henry (1809) and Ann (1806) and siblings Thomas William Smith (1832) and Henry Jn Smith (1835). His father Henry Smith's occupation was a cordwainer/shoemaker on both of the census records and on the marriage certificates for his sons, also found two mentions in the paper of bankrupcy for him, listing addresses that match one of the  census. On the 1841 census there is an Elizabeth Smith age 60 living in the house, which I'm assuming is his mother and a Brice Smith age 20 which could possibly be a brother, although unsure? I believe I found Henry's parents to be Thomas Smith and an Elizabeth Smith as a marriage record I found for 1809 has a Brice Smith as a witness (not the younger Brice Smith mentioned), so thought this could probably the same family? But with the same surname I'm very confused, especially one like Smith! Sorry if this was long winded but was hoping to find anyone with links to this family in Gloucestershire area, or any advice on where to go next.
I would like to visit the county once lock down is over

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Smith 1809 cordwainer/bootmaker Gloucester/Cheltenham
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 20:05 BST (UK) »
Brice Smith the younger marries in 1845 - he's a cordwainer, son of Thomas also a cordwainer

One of the witnesses is called Henry Smith

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 20:09 BST (UK) »
There's a Henry smith marriage to Ann Owen in Cheltenham on 19 Dec 1831 - no family details, sorry

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 20:17 BST (UK) »
Brice the younger is potentially brother of Henry - there's a non conformist baptism for him, son of Thomas and Elizabeth in Gloucester

Offline jordanamelia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks so much for replying have found two marriages for Brice think one of his wife passed away - one is Eliza and the other Sophia Ann Williams, Thomas Smith (cordwainer) listed as father for both and found the non conformist baptism you mentioned. I searched for other surname Smith's in baptisms in Gloucester and there was another non conformist baptism parents Thomas and Elizabeth for a James Smith 1816 - looked into him further and some census have come up and he's listed as a bootmaker so think this is definitely another child of theirs

Trying to look further into Ann Owen think that is definitely her, on the 1851 census with family I think her birth place may be Worcestershire - second word hard to read possibly Strensham but not much luck with her

Offline jordanamelia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 16:54 BST (UK) »
Have just found a marriage for James Smith in 1839 to a Rosana Morgan father listed as Thomas Smith bootmaker, there's a William Smith present. There's also a William Smith present at the marriage of Henry Smith and Ann Owen in 1831 so wondering if this is potentially another brother, or an Uncle! Slowly but surely some pieces coming together maybe

Offline jordanamelia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 June 20 20:10 BST (UK) »
Have been trying to look into the 'Brice Smith' witness present (along with Hannah Smith unsure who she is atm) at Thomas Smith and Elizabeth marriage in 1809 - a register of duties paid for apprentice indentures has come up 27 Sep 1792, Gloucester, Brice Smith cordwainer - surely not a coincidence? I'm wondering if he is Thomas or Elizabeth's father or Uncle, puzzled on the same surname between them too

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 June 20 11:18 BST (UK) »
May be related?

Marriage;
4 Feb 1782, St Mary, Painswick
Brice SMITH to Susannah HOLDER
Both of the Parish
By Banns
Witnesses    Francis PHIPPS/   Thomas HOLDER
(FreeREG)

Possible Burial;
Brice Smith
19 Dec 1823 age 64 (1759)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline jordanamelia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 June 20 13:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much! Think that may be the right Brice, I've ended up starting a new tree for him to try and tie it in that way! I'm not sure how to figure out what relation he is to my Smiths wish there was more census' lol