Author Topic: Looking for 1811 birth record for Hannah Dawes, daughter of Joseph  (Read 430 times)

Offline Sandi Porch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for 1811 birth record for Hannah Dawes, daughter of Joseph
« on: Wednesday 27 May 20 12:10 BST (UK) »
I am looking for birth and burial records for Hannah Dawes born about 1811 probably in Alfreton area.  Hannah’s father was Joseph Dawes (from 2nd marriage to Joseph Newton).
The records should be non-conformist.

1831 married John Burton in Alfreton, John’s occupation Collier
1831 son John Burton was born in Summercoates, baptized Wesleyan, father’s occupation Collier
1833 husband John Burton died (maybe coal mining accident), no record has been found
1833 son Richard Burton was born, baptized Wesleyan, father’’s occupation Collier
1838 son Joseph Newton born in Summercoates
1838 married Joseph Newton at Baptist Chapel Swanwick
1839 son Samuel Newton born Summercoates
1841 Census living in Greenhill Lane Hannah’s age 30, Alfreton with Joseph Newton occupation Ironstone miner and sons Joseph and Samuel (John Burton and Richard Burton were living with their paternal Grandmother Hannah Slater)
1842 daughter Marey Newton born
1845 daughter Charlotta Newton born
1847 son Ferdinand Newton born
1847 Nov 21 Hannah died at Riddings

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for 1811 birth record for Hannah Dawes, daughter of Joseph
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 June 20 17:18 BST (UK) »
I can't find Hannah, but could this be her parents (from familysearch)?

Joseph Dawes
Event Type:   
Census
Event Date:   
Event Place:   
Alfreton, Derbyshire, England, United Kingdom
Event Place (Original):   
Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
County:   
Derbyshire
Parish:   
Alfreton
Registration District:   
Belper
Residence Note:   
Birchwood In The Hamlet Of Summer Cotes
Age (Original):   
Birth Year (Estimated):   
1777-1781
Birthplace:   
Derbyshire
Page Number:   
Registration Number:   
HO107
Piece/Folio:   
193/18
Affiliate Record Type:   
Household
Affiliate Image Identifier:   
GBC/1841/0193/0214&parentid=GBC/1841/0002880341
Household   Role   Sex   Age   Birthplace
Joseph Dawes      Male   60   Derbyshire
Marey Dawes      Female   50   Derbyshire
Mariah Dawes      Female   35   Derbyshire
Joseph Dawes      Male   20   Derbyshire
John Dawes      Male   16   Derbyshire
Caroline Dawes      Female   15   Derbyshire
Emma Dawes      Female   11   Derbyshire
Meriah Englang      Female   6   Derbyshire  (should be England)

Do you have Joseph's occupation from Hannah's marriage certificate?  This Joseph was a FWK/Stockinger.  He was buried 22/4/1849 aged 71 St Martin, Alfreton.

There are lots of Daws/Dawes (inc Joseph and Mary) on freereg.org.uk

And here is that Ferdinand name again  (this is so sad) http://www.somercoteshistory.co.uk/burialrecords.asp
DAWES, Juliet           Birchwood   18 Jan   10 years
DAWES, Caroline   Birchwood   24 Jan   16 years
DAWES, Hannah   Birchwood   29 Jan   14 years
DAWES, Ferdinand   Birchwood   29 Jan   12 years
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe

Offline Sandi Porch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for 1811 birth record for Hannah Dawes, daughter of Joseph
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 June 20 01:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I was so happy to see a response!

I’ll have to take a look at the BMD records.

Yesterdays Journey 66: She would have been about 11, so I don’t think this record matches.

The Joseph Dawes mentioned in the Derbyshire County Counsel record Ref No. D2536 and D4922 is Hannah’s father, I believe, and is mentioned in another RootsChat – Dawes, Joseph of Riddings http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=337680.0

At first I had Hannah’s parents as the Joseph Dawes and Mary Barratt in the 1841 Census , but I can’t find a baptism/birth record, and I believe the birth spots were taken.  They had Mary Dawes in 1809, Ephraim Dawes in 1811, and Elizabeth Dawes in 1813.

Hannah’s first marriage was by banns on 11 Apr 1831 by John Pepper Vicar.  John Burton signed and Hannah did not. Witnesses were John or Josh Finch and Josh Rolley (both signed, but Josh Rolley signed a lot of the records, so he probably wasn’t related). The fathers and occupations were not listed.

Second marriage was on 42 Jul 1838 at the Baptist Chapel at Swanwick, after the birth of the first son with Joseph Newton.  She was listed as living at Summercotes.  Her father was listed as Joseph Dawes, Laborer. Joseph signed, but Hannah did not.  Witnesses were Samuel and Mathew Newton. Hannah’s father and second wife, Anny Lindley and family were living in Oldfords, Seighford, Staffordshire.

Hannah’s husband John Burton died about the time their second son, Richard was born in 1833.  His birth location is given as Birchwood, which is different than their residence (Sommercotes) at the time. I am speculating that she may have stayed with relatives in Birchwood when John died.  John’s burial record is one of the ones I can’t find.

I had seen the 4 Dawes burials in January 1842.  I had wondered if there had been an epidemic at the time.  I have them as children of Samuel Dawes b. 1804 Birchwood, d. 1882, married Aholibama Barratt 1803-1861.  Ferdinand died in 1841, so I thought Ferdinand Newton might have been named after him.  I don’t think the name Ferdinand was all that common in Alferton at this time. I have Samuel’s parents as Isaac Dawes b1782 and Hannah Slack b1784.

The row under the Dawes is Ann Fern, age 18 months.  Two of Joseph Dawes and Mary Barratt’s children married Dawes, so this Ann Fern could be related.

There were many Dawes in the area, which is one of my problems.

I think Hannah’s mother was Joseph’s first wife, Grace Butterworth born 1773.  Butterworth may not have been her maiden name but from her first marriage.  Not many Butterworths were listed in the Alfreton area at the time. Joseph and Grace were married 17 Apr 1798 in Afreton.  This marriage was not indexed in the Derbyshire, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, but is on the same page as the marriage record for Sarah Rily and Thomas Brown 13 Apr 1798 Alfreton, Derbyshire. Witnesses were Thomas Green and Grace Green. Joseph and the Greens signed, Grace did not.

There are many members of the family without birth or burial records.  The records may be in one record book that has been lost, not indexed, sitting in a church basement or a historical society somewhere.  The common ancestor may have been Quaker, but I don’t think Hannah or Joseph were Quaker.  The area had a lot of non-conformists, and the Burton family was Wesleyan. Hannah's second marraige was at a Baptist chapel. It’s a possibility that the records are in a circuit minister’s record from a different location/denomination.  There was a non-conformist record that had a Mark Dawes circuit Wesleyan minister.  Some records appear to be from the Independent Chapel at Riddings. My mother said there was a church fire that destroyed some records. 

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile