Author Topic: boughton wills  (Read 406 times)

Offline ray b

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
boughton wills
« on: Wednesday 27 May 20 12:30 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon
In the index of wills and administrations in the probate registry at Canterbury vol 01, there are wills listed for alice boughton 21 297 1538 postling and john boughton 21 297 1538.
what is 21 297 and have they both died or is it one of them bequeathing to the other sorry to appear dim but have not had to check wills before.
rayb

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
Re: boughton wills
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 August 20 00:58 BST (UK) »
Hello RayB

It is impossible to tell if this is husband/wife, mother/son, father/daughter, or any other relationship based solely on the archive call numbers.  The only thing for certain is that both died during 1538.  As Wills are arranged alphabetically and then chronologically it may well be that John and Alice died fairly close in time to each other as they share sequential folio numbers.  The earlier Will is for John.  His archival reference number is:  PRC/17/21/297a, which translates into Archdeanconry Court (PRC17, Will has been proved at Court and registered in this category), volume 21, folio 297a.

Alice's archival reference number is:  PRC/17/21/297b, which translates into Archdeaconry Court (PRC17, Will has been proved at Court and registered in this category), volume 21, folio 297b.

A folio represents two pages, the recto and verso, respectively the "front" and "back" sides of a leaf of paper in a bound item such as a codex, book, broadsheet, or pamphlet. In languages written from left to right the recto is the right-hand page (the front side of the page) and the verso the left-hand page (the backside of the same page).

You would need the archival reference numbers for viewing the Wills at the Canterbury Cathedral Archives or if you were ordering photocopies of those Wills.  Alternatively, these Wills are easily and freely viewable on FamilySearch.org either at a Family History Centre or at the Kent Archive and Library, which is an affiliate library to the Family History Library in Utah, USA.  There are other affiliate libraries around the world.  They are not available on FindmyPast or on Ancestry.

I hope this helps.

Susan
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline ray b

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: boughton wills
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 August 20 09:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks to both of you
I was afraid that that might be the answer not attempted to do much recently but must now look at several wills because i now have john and alice died 1538 john and widow alice married 1566 ? john and alice marrying 1596 in boughton aluph i am sure that ones right.
thanks again
rayb