Author Topic: Diary > Sunday 31st May  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary > Sunday 31st May
« on: Sunday 31 May 20 14:14 BST (UK) »
Well folks, in these strange times, it is still Whit Sunday today.
The Parish Whit walks were something we looked forward to.
Dressed in white with flower posies,hair taken out of Saturday night’s “ sore finger ringlets”( my Mum was a sadist ,she put the knots at the top so you got no sleep!) .
White shoes and down to church and your allotted place on a flower banner or if in the top Sunday School class The BIG banner!
Held aloft by poles, measuring six feet across and about ten long it weighed heavy.
Brocaded and embroidered it had the Church’s name and a portrait of that Saint.
Long ropes  kept taut helped the men carrying  it to balance the weight ,
and ribbons were held by the oldest girls.
It was an honour to be on the big banner.You had to have 100% Sunday School and church attendance.
We had long white dresses ,flower headdresses and if on the ropes,no posies as you had to pull.
On the ribbons we did have posies.
Children from three or four walked the parish walks on Whit Sunday afternoon.We had the Church Lads’ Brigade band or our Scouts’s (ooh those knees pre long trouser days!)band.
On Whit Monday was the really big walks, from the parish churches right down to Albert  Square and some into the Cathedral on a Rota.
There were upwards of 20,000 Sunday School children walking, it took the procession two hours to pass.
On that day the Churches hired brass bands to play during the walks ,each had its own.
Ours had Culcheth Prize Military Band in which my grandfather played the flute.
Their other name was The Tall Hat Band.
This was because they wore morning coats and top hats.
It was something we looked forward to all year round and the local press took hundreds of photographs.
On Whit Friday the Roman Catholic walks were joined by Manchester’s Italian ,Polish and Hungarian  communities,all in National costumes ,then they walked again on Trinity Sunday.
The Italians had a huge Madonna,smothered in Madonna lilies and carried by the young men.( half the Manchester Mafia  ;D)
All the Ice cream families,Pesagno, Granelli,Rea, Corelli, Pandolfo and Italian
artisans, Bachegalupo ,Quigliagotti etc were represented and it was a spectacular sight.
No Sunday schools really now and church attendance very poor.
We got our yearly new outfit at Whit, so it was a real milestone in our pretty hum drum lives .
But by now we would be lining up to walk in order round our parish ,cheered and clapped by residents it was the big day in our year only bettered by Whit Monday.
Sectarianism was rife , as you can imagine , but one gentleman Mr.John Pesagno always waited at seven o’clock  on the Whit Monday morning  to see our church start its walk to Albert square,on the corner ,he took off his Homburg hat and acknowledged our Rector .
Considering Mr. Pesagno  had been interned on The I.O.M for the duration of the war ,that was really a most generous gesture.

Ah well , no sore finger ringlets tonight , no keeping your posy in a cool damp place( ie the house,!)no whitening your shoes for Monday’s really big exciting day.
No looking forward to seeing The Scouts  ::) and hearing the crowds shout encouragement when we were getting tired” keep your lilies up “—- (keep your heads up high) no maudlin sentimentality as we passed pub  after pub especially on the return route,the mixture of religion and   Nationalism  .
There was always a big Bonny girl dressed as Britannia and some churches  had the  little boys dressed as Victorian sailors ,with Union Jacks!
All gone I think ,but it was  fun whilst it lasted.
Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Sunday 31st May
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 May 20 14:41 BST (UK) »
I remember Whit Sunday days gone by,  heralded summer I think,  usually the first time out in summer attire,  every bank holiday I remember when living  in London we would go on hike,  our poor little legs

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 May 20 16:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you Viktoria, for that lovely and graphic description of how it used to be on Whit weekends.  :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 May 20 17:03 BST (UK) »
You've reminded me of the Whit Walks, Victoria  :)

Not that I was part of any, but it brings back memories of my aunty who lived in Lancashire and talked of the processions. I always wanted to be part of one of them   :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 May 20 19:20 BST (UK) »
Viktoria, that has to go in your memoir.
 I remember the discomfort & sleepless night caused by rags in hair. My ringlets fell out by Sunday afternoon when my mother clipped the wreath on my head in the classroom assigned as girls' dressing-room. Mother was May Queen when she was 7 (First Communion class) She was almost hidden by flowers in the official photo - garland on her head and bouquet in her hands.
Perfect weather for Whit Walks, as long as tarmac didn't melt and stick to soles of shoes. Sandals with pristine white uppers and sticky black soles was not a good look.
Some years there was rain and wind. Best shoes and socks splashed with dirty water. Attendant mums holding umbrellas over May Queen & retinue. Ringlets and veils set free by gusts of wind. Banners flapping & bearers battling to control them. Chief banner bearers wore a leather harness or belt. Each harness had an integral thick leather pocket into which a banner pole was placed.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 May 20 19:25 BST (UK) »
I've asked for reply 26 onwards to be put on a new thread for today's date.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 May 20 19:32 BST (UK) »
Slight upset stomach during night. O.K. now. Blackbird singing at 3 a.m.
Next door but one neighbour still busy in back garden. Drilling & hammering. not constant. Last year I thought he was building Noah's Ark. I don't know what this year's project is. Perhaps a deck for sunbathing. If it is, I expect rain for 40 days from the day it's finished.  :)
Cowban

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 May 20 19:52 BST (UK) »
Oh yes!
As we neared home- well Church, the people who had been in the pub most of the time we’re a bit merry and that is when Nationalism got confused with Religion !
The band might be playing” The  Church’ s one foundation” but the pub customers who had come outside to see the walks, would be singing
Sons of the sea ,
All British boys,
Sailing every ocean ,
Laughing foes to scorn.
They may build their ships my lads
And think they know the game,
But they can’t beat the boys
Of the Bulldog breed
In good old England’s name.
Very religious! ::)
If it rained on Whit Monday the Catholic’s would be “ superior”
Likewise if on Whit Friday the Protestants would be cock a hoop!

It was all good clean sectarian fun!
Ah well all gone now and part of it was unacceptable , much due to long held prejudices going as far back as the immigration of poor Catholics from Ireland 1840’s.
I could never understand it really.
As with all stupid feuds ,many had no idea of the origins.
Well I think if there were still the big walks ,our white shoes would be spoilt
  by the melting tar from between the setts ,our flowers would be drooping  and my ringlets as with Maiden Stone’s
would just look like dogs’ hind legs if not completely straight ,then the torture again !
Well I am still staying at home , think the let down is too soon and is already being abused .
I can’t put my family to any more worry about me.
I am quite used to it ,so a bit longer until numbers are down to a steady
decrease , they were  up again today.
Cheerio
Viktoria .

Son’s of the sea, ( bobbing up and down like this!)  ;D

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 May 20 20:05 BST (UK) »
Well rudely awakened the back of 4 this morning by my house alarm shouting "warning warning, no mains power" thanks to a power cut.  I lay for a bit but couldn't get back to sleep.  Luckily the power was back on by the time I gave up.

Weather forecast says rain for later in the week so took advantage of being up early to wash the throws that can't be tumble dried and hang them on the line.

Older daughter completed the final assignment in this year at school. As of 9am tomorrow she moves up to the next year. Should be interesting doing it by distance learning.

Nipped to the local shop for bread and milk and they were nearly out of everything.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others