Author Topic: John HEARN Frances Ponder (Pinder)  (Read 490 times)

Offline liver007

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John HEARN Frances Ponder (Pinder)
« on: Monday 01 June 20 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I am currently stuck on a John HEARN and his wife Frances nee Ponder (Pinder)

I don’t seem to be able to move further back than @1745. It could be the name Hearn has changed to Hurn,Hearne etc..this the last record I can find..

John Hearn, DO. 3/12/1745 Suffolk married Frances 19 Nov 1771 Boxford Suffolk

John died 30 De. 1834 Groton Suffolk.

I have posted on this site before, regarding other HEARN family members ..but I am once again at a dead end with John HEARN

Regards
Keith Hearn
Ryan - Liverpool
Tierney - Liverpool
Hearn - Suffolk, London, Midlands, West Lancashire. Liverpool.
Woodside - Liverpool, Midlands, Scotland, Wigtown.
Petersen/Peterson - Denmark, Hull, Liverpool
King - Hereford - Pencoyd, Monmouth
Harvey - Liverpool
Gray - Liverpool

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: John HEARN Frances Ponder (Pinder)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 June 20 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith

Doesn't the 1772 settlement certificate mentioned last year by jonw65 show that John HEARN came to Groton from Stoke [by] Nayland, where rosie99 found the baptism of John HERN in 1740? It seems that he was a little older than the 90 years recorded at the time of his burial in 1835.

As noted by trish1120, John HEARN's wife Frances was a daughter of Walter and Sarah PONDER (not PINDER), baptized at Groton in 1744 (FamilySearch.org). Frances and her parents don't appear to have left any wills, but those of her sister Sarah (c.1747-1812) and husband Joseph HOLBOROW (m. Groton 1792) were both registered by the PCC in 1830. Written in 1810, Sarah's will names her five nephews, John, William, Walter, Daniel and Thomas HEARN. Baptisms identify them as sons of John and Frances:

1776 John HEARN at Boxford
1777 William HEARN at Boxford
1779 Walter HERN at Boxford
1780 Daniel HERNE at Boxford
1783 Thomas HEARN at Groton

Siblings baptized at Groton in 1772 and 1784-1788 died as infants. Their sister Sarah, born c.1782, was probably buried at Hadleigh in 1810.

When Joseph HOLBOROW of Hadleigh made his will in 1824, his first wife's nephew John HEARN had "lately departed this life". Copies of these wills can be downloaded free of charge while TNA is closed. Ancestry has Sarah's under her maiden name, PONDER; I've submitted a correction. Although I haven't located John's burial (sometime between 1810 and 1824) he is clearly not the man buried at Worlingworth in 1840 whose ancestry you hope to trace.

Perhaps the time has come to review the data posted here in 2018 and focus on the HEARN or HURREN family of Kelsale. I now see that Norfolk Sources is not the best website for John HURREN's will (NCC 1813, will no 130, folios 229 to 233 verso). A much better copy is available from FamilySearch.org (after signing in), starting with image 532 of 681 in the register for 1812-1813. (Hyperlinks for NCC and other Norfolk probate court documents were given a few weeks ago in message #467 to the Suffolk io Group.)

David

Offline liver007

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John HEARN Frances Ponder (Pinder)
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 June 20 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith

Doesn't the 1772 settlement certificate mentioned last year by jonw65 show that John HEARN came to Groton from Stoke [by] Nayland, where rosie99 found the baptism of John HERN in 1740? It seems that he was a little older than the 90 years recorded at the time of his burial in 1835.

As noted by trish1120, John HEARN's wife Frances was a daughter of Walter and Sarah PONDER (not PINDER), baptized at Groton in 1744 (FamilySearch.org). Frances and her parents don't appear to have left any wills, but those of her sister Sarah (c.1747-1812) and husband Joseph HOLBOROW (m. Groton 1792) were both registered by the PCC in 1830. Written in 1810, Sarah's will names her five nephews, John, William, Walter, Daniel and Thomas HEARN. Baptisms identify them as sons of John and Frances:

1776 John HEARN at Boxford
1777 William HEARN at Boxford
1779 Walter HERN at Boxford
1780 Daniel HERNE at Boxford
1783 Thomas HEARN at Groton

Siblings baptized at Groton in 1772 and 1784-1788 died as infants. Their sister Sarah, born c.1782, was probably buried at Hadleigh in 1810.

When Joseph HOLBOROW of Hadleigh made his will in 1824, his first wife's nephew John HEARN had "lately departed this life". Copies of these wills can be downloaded free of charge while TNA is closed. Ancestry has Sarah's under her maiden name, PONDER; I've submitted a correction. Although I haven't located John's burial (sometime between 1810 and 1824) he is clearly not the man buried at Worlingworth in 1840 whose ancestry you hope to trace.

Perhaps the time has come to review the data posted here in 2018 and focus on the HEARN or HURREN family of Kelsale. I now see that Norfolk Sources is not the best website for John HURREN's will (NCC 1813, will no 130, folios 229 to 233 verso). A much better copy is available from FamilySearch.org (after signing in), starting with image 532 of 681 in the register for 1812-1813. (Hyperlinks for NCC and other Norfolk probate court documents were given a few weeks ago in message #467 to the Suffolk io Group.)

David

Hi David,

I haven’t picked up the Hearn family data for a number of years, I have to say I completely forgot about the data gathered in 2018.

I will not forget what has been uncovered in the past, again.

Thank you for the information you have unearthed for me.

Regards
Keith
Ryan - Liverpool
Tierney - Liverpool
Hearn - Suffolk, London, Midlands, West Lancashire. Liverpool.
Woodside - Liverpool, Midlands, Scotland, Wigtown.
Petersen/Peterson - Denmark, Hull, Liverpool
King - Hereford - Pencoyd, Monmouth
Harvey - Liverpool
Gray - Liverpool