Author Topic: General discussion on current situation 3  (Read 7658 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: General discussion on current situation 3
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 04 June 20 21:38 BST (UK) »
I only ever bought one newspaper a week and haven't had one since the start of lockdown. Maybe some links would help.

Amazon have plenty of face masks for sale, many of them made in China. In the Q&As there's a reply for many of the products recommending a particular website. Something going on there I think. ::)

Ray, it's been left in buckets at some of our coastal towns.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 04 June 20 22:08 BST (UK) »
Well dog walkers will tell you it is every day ,day in day out without fail .
It gets to be such a habit you don’t notice it somehow.
But of course when you can meet up with fellow dog walkers, have a laugh and joke the two hours or so go by quickly.
You are in normal circumstances , not social distancing.
I never had a cold , seemed to get used to the cold,rain,wind etc.
My skin was good ,but now!!!,now I hardly get out it is very dry and got a lot more wrinkles.
How I did so much housework -with all that time taken out of the day -in a big house I can’t think.
 Now the great heat has gone I must start walking again, gentle build up.
Where are we - oldies- supposed to get face masks from if we are not going   out  shopping   because we are in both the age bracket and underlying conditions bracket who should stay in.
It was months after all this started that my letter from the Gov came!
Likewise our Council, still they must be seen to be doing the right thing!
I haven’t really been out and about since Jan10th.
The third eye op.
Started walking in the Cemetery but not as fit as I was and my foot hurt from gout ,so I have been a bit lazy.
I am cross with myself .
But good neighbours, my son not too far away ,phone, iPad
TV, radio , CD player etc I am alright.
Must start walking again or not fair to get a dog otherwise.
I have not seen the news tonight, but when we don’t get correct  figures, very confusing information ,and people of lesser  importance giving it to us,I can’t be bothered.
Keep well everyone.
Viktoria.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 04 June 20 23:35 BST (UK) »
"Who should wear a face mask or face covering?" Published 4th June
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51205344
Starts 15th June in England. The situation is different in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
Cowban

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 05 June 20 00:00 BST (UK) »
I know this is going back to comments first posted on this topic but I wanted to just say something about BBQ's.....
We use ours most of the time during the summer when the weather is pleasant and my OH is the cook...
We've never, in the 30+ years he's been doing it, had uncooked or burnt offerings. I usually marinade all meat first and then he cooks it... he always gets complimented from friends & family and he enjoys doing it, he does also cook meals in the kitchen at other times of the year but I never use the BBQ as he says it's his chance to give me a break from doing most of the cooking... ours doesn't smell and it's an enjoyable experience for everyone...

Regarding the wearing of masks, there are lots of ideas on how to have home made ones from simply folding fabric and using elastic bands to getting out your sewing machine to run a few up for the family.
The group I've joined who started off making hospital scrubs have also made hundreds of masks....so I'm sure there must be such groups in most areas.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 05 June 20 00:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Maiden Stone and Caw1,  I hadn’t planned on going out ,but it would be handy to know where to get a mask if there is real necessity.
IfI get my machine sorted out I will have a bash.
Thanks again.
Viktoria.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 05 June 20 04:59 BST (UK) »
I understood the general opinion on face masks was that it was very doubtful they did any good in stopping the virus.

That was the last time before today that I tuned into the 5pm political broadcast. sorry corona virus bulletin, which admittedly was some time ago (apart from at the time of the Cummings fiasco).

So, is this yet another about turn? Where am I supposed to get a face mask? I thought they were supposed to be so rare they were going on the open market for 6 toilet rolls and a packet of pasta?

I switched on the bulletin by mistake today (I was really looking for Hunting Bigfoot, which is much more entertaining but then again just about anything else would be) and that little chap with the fluffy hairdo was trying to sell me an electric scooter! I swear! Always thought he looked like a second hand car salesman.....

No it's not an about turn, wearing a face covering is to protect other people from any virus you might breath out if you have it.

Not about protecting you from others.
cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 05 June 20 10:49 BST (UK) »
Has anyone noticed the recent report that the local planning authority for the Durham area has been asked to investigate the lack of a planning permission for a separate dwelling at North Lodge? Apparently, no council tax has been paid for it either!

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 05 June 20 11:15 BST (UK) »
I understood the general opinion on face masks was that it was very doubtful they did any good in stopping the virus.

That was the last time before today that I tuned into the 5pm political broadcast. sorry corona virus bulletin, which admittedly was some time ago (apart from at the time of the Cummings fiasco).

So, is this yet another about turn? Where am I supposed to get a face mask? I thought they were supposed to be so rare they were going on the open market for 6 toilet rolls and a packet of pasta?

I switched on the bulletin by mistake today (I was really looking for Hunting Bigfoot, which is much more entertaining but then again just about anything else would be) and that little chap with the fluffy hairdo was trying to sell me an electric scooter! I swear! Always thought he looked like a second hand car salesman.....

I agree it is another about turn, but policies change as more knowledge becomes available, as Maiden Stone said.

However Grant Schapps did try to make it clear that the 'science' did not fully support the wearing of face masks/coverings as a way to limit spread of this coronavirus. Indicating that the policy has not been changed for scientific reasons.

But whatever the reasoning behind the decision, there has to be a public campaign educating people in how to put them on and take them off properly. Everytime I see some one on TV using one incorrectly, I inwardly groan - touching the front after use, pulling it down by the front to talk or eat, taking it off by the front instead of the sides etc. etc.

If you have the virus already, I don't suppose it matters all that much how you use it. It is the people who erroneously think it is giving them some protection that are more likely to suffer from misuse.

Regards Margaret

Added: I quite like the idea of an electric scooter, but don't think it would be advised, I can't keep upright on an ordinary bike. My bones won't take another major fall!
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 05 June 20 11:20 BST (UK) »
Has anyone noticed the recent report that the local planning authority for the Durham area has been asked to investigate the lack of a planning permission for a separate dwelling at North Lodge? Apparently, no council tax has been paid for it either!
I read an article a few days ago. No planning permission, situated in a conservation area and no permission from national coal board which is also required. Land registry shows property's recorded owners being parents and adult children.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk