Author Topic: Bawtry look up  (Read 362 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Bawtry look up
« on: Wednesday 03 June 20 18:37 BST (UK) »
Is anyone here able to check for a christening for a Mary Barlow possibly born sometime in the 1710s or 1720s?

Mary married Joseph Pinkney at Bawtry on 26 December 1746. He was born in 1716 in St Boltoph without Aldgate, London. They had 6 children born between 1747 and 1759:

Ann Pinkney - born 1747
John Pinkney - born 1750
William Pinkney - born 1751
George Pinkney - born 1753
Elizabeth Pinkney - born 1755
Joseph Pinkney - born 1759

So far I've drawn a blank in looking for Mary. Can anyone here help?

Thanks
Matt

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bawtry look up
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 June 20 09:58 BST (UK) »
Possible birth, father noted as of Sheffield.

Mary Barlow
Father   Jno Barlow
Birth   05/04/1714 Sheffield Yorkshire

Date transcribed as April but the parish record seems to read born the 5th day of the 2nd month?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 June 20 20:32 BST (UK) »
Possible birth, father noted as of Sheffield.

Mary Barlow
Father   Jno Barlow
Birth   05/04/1714 Sheffield Yorkshire

Date transcribed as April but the parish record seems to read born the 5th day of the 2nd month?

Colin

Hi Colin

Thanks for that. Mary was described as being "of Bawtry" when she married Joseph Pinkney in London. The only problem is that Sheffield is 19 miles away from Bawtry which seems a rather long way. I will certainly keep this one in mind though.

Matt

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 June 20 14:07 BST (UK) »

In 1714 April was the 2nd month. It wasn't until 1752 that New Year's Day was moved to 1 January.

Calling it "2nd month" rather than April is typical of Quaker registers, and on checking these I see that the birth appears in the records of the Balby Monthly Meeting, as reported by the Sheffield meeting.

What you've said about Mary's marriage is contradictory:

Mary married Joseph Pinkney at Bawtry on 26 December 1746.
Mary was described as being "of Bawtry" when she married Joseph Pinkney in London.

I'll leave you to sort that out and tell us which is correct, but if the Quaker Mary is the right one, then if this wasn't a Quaker marriage it's possible that there'll be a record somewhere of Mary being rebuked or otherwise sanctioned for marrying out of the faith (or for leaving it previously). This might also give clues about where she was living.

It might also be worth looking through the Quaker records for John Barlow and his family to see if there's any evidence of a move from Sheffield to Bawtry.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 June 20 14:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you for reminding me that the Georgian calendar did not start until 1752.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 June 20 02:23 BST (UK) »

In 1714 April was the 2nd month. It wasn't until 1752 that New Year's Day was moved to 1 January.

Calling it "2nd month" rather than April is typical of Quaker registers, and on checking these I see that the birth appears in the records of the Balby Monthly Meeting, as reported by the Sheffield meeting.

What you've said about Mary's marriage is contradictory:

Mary married Joseph Pinkney at Bawtry on 26 December 1746.
Mary was described as being "of Bawtry" when she married Joseph Pinkney in London.

I'll leave you to sort that out and tell us which is correct, but if the Quaker Mary is the right one, then if this wasn't a Quaker marriage it's possible that there'll be a record somewhere of Mary being rebuked or otherwise sanctioned for marrying out of the faith (or for leaving it previously). This might also give clues about where she was living.

It might also be worth looking through the Quaker records for John Barlow and his family to see if there's any evidence of a move from Sheffield to Bawtry.

Hi

Sorry about the mix up regarding the place of marriage. The marriage took place at Bawtry, Joseph himself was from St Boltoph without Aldgate in London. His father, also named Joseph, was married in London.

I will post more details in the next few days once I find my note on the marriage.

Matt