Author Topic: Pantygwenith and Pantygwenith Fach Five Roads  (Read 434 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pantygwenith and Pantygwenith Fach Five Roads
« on: Saturday 06 June 20 10:35 BST (UK) »
The below may of interest to others. Would also be interested to know if anyone else knows more about these properties

In 1840 Pantygwenith is for sale due to bankruptcy.

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3614175/3614176/1/Pantygwenith%20AND%20Pantygwenith%20AND%20Edmund

The advert states it is a property of 3 cottages and a cow house, with gardens and land. Currently occupied by a William Edmund and his wife (Jane Edmund (nee Bassett)), both aged about 40, and the sale details specifies William claims he and his wife are entitled to hold the lease for the lives of himself and his wife.

However, it must be sold, as in 1841 it is occupied by a David Thomas (age 50), Farmer and his family, his wife and 2 of their daughters are “foreign”, not born Carmarthenshire. (Note in 1841, William Edmund and family are living at Cwr/Caebrenin), which is virtually “next door" In the census, 1851-1871 he is living at Herberdeg (his parents property) before moving back to Caebrenin in 1881).

In 1851 it is occupied by a John Gower and family. They are no longer there in 1861, presumably because John dies in 1859.

In 1861 a David Davies, a Farmer, and his wife Keturah (Catherine) are living there. Keturah’s maiden name is Edmund and she is actually the daughter of Richard Edmund of Caerbigin Farm. Richard Edmund being the brother of the William Edmund mentioned above. David and Catherine continue living there for the remainder of the census records. David Davies is actually listed as a Farmer of Pantygwenith when he marries Keturah in 1860. David Davies is the son of Thomas Davies, his mother may be Mary who marries Evan Jenkins of Gellyhir/Farmers Arms Five Roads)

In 1871 there is Pantygwenith farm and Pantygwenith Fach. At Pantygwenith Fach are David Edmund and his family and his mother Mary. Mary is still living there in 1881 while David and family are next door at Tainewydd.

William Edmund who was leasing Pantygwenith in 1840 actually acquires the freehold to Pantygwenith Fach at some point, as in his will he states:

“This is the last Will and Testament of William Edmund of Caebrenin in the Parish of
Llanelly in the County of Carmarthen Farmer. I give devise and bequeath unto my
Grandson William the son of my eldest son John deceased the whole of my freehold
property including the three cottages therein forever known as Pantygwenith fach situate near Five Roads together with the whole of the kitchen furniture at Caebrenin upon his paying out of the annual produce thereof the sum of Three Pounds and fifteen shillings per annum to each of my children during their life namely Mary, Jane and William.”