Author Topic: Horton, Ribblesdale - Mills, Occupations and Great-grandparents  (Read 1702 times)

Online daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Horton, Ribblesdale - Mills, Occupations and Great-grandparents
« on: Thursday 11 June 20 10:16 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for any information on my great-grandparents William Mather and Sarah Kelly.  They were living in Manchester on 1911.  A daughter Maria Mather was born in Little Houghton, Bradford in 1891 with father William working as Braid Overlooker and on 1891 Census they were all in Horton with sons Henry and William working as Worsted Spinners and father William a Weaving Overlooker but not the younger children.  I also have birth of son William in 1891 in Manchester.  So it looks like they were back and forth to Manchester through those years also working in the mills when they were in Manchester.  Whole family back in Manchester on 1901 Census but only father William working in the mill as Braid Overlooker.
I'd really like to know where they could possibly be working in which mill in Horton or any other information anyone can find on them.
The name of where they lived varied, sometimes Houghton or Little Houghton sometimes Horton!
Any help appreciated.
McMullen, Gleave, Kelly, Scholes, Mather, Phillips, Lock

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Horton, Ribblesdale - Mills, Occupations and Great-grandparents
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 June 20 11:36 BST (UK) »
Where does horton in ribblesdale come into this?

It also seems unlikely they sprogged Maria in horton 1891 AND a son in manchester the same year.

1881 https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27P-8J2Y

1901 https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X929-HS6
1911 https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XW1W-YHX

Edit WHEN do they appear in the west riding?
As best I can tell,Maria's birth was registered in Chorlton.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 June 20 13:13 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for any information on my great-grandparents William Mather and Sarah Kelly.  They were living in Manchester on 1911.  A daughter Maria Mather was born in Little Houghton, Bradford in 1891

Maria was born 1890 -not 1891
Birth reg FreeBMD
Maria Mather Jun qtr 1890 Bradford reg dist
9b 178

Maria was listed as being 11months old on 1891 census

William was b either late 1880 or early 1881 -
Birth reg FreeBMD
William Mather Mar qtr 1881 Manchester reg district
8d 211
On 1881 census William is listed as age 0

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 June 20 16:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for the information.  The information I had is much the same as you have found.  I think that Horton and Houghton are getting confused in different places but Bradford is the nearest town I expect.  The same with the exact years of birth for Maria.
I was actually hoping for some information on their jobs and the actual mills they were working.
McMullen, Gleave, Kelly, Scholes, Mather, Phillips, Lock

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 June 20 01:00 BST (UK) »
  I think that Horton and Houghton are getting confused in different places but Bradford is the nearest town I expect.  The same with the exact years of birth for Maria.
I was actually hoping for some information on their jobs and the actual mills they were working.

I wouldn't say that Horton -in-Ribblesdale was near Bradford. (In mind of recent events, it's nearer Barnard Castle than it is to Bradford. Nice place to go for a drive to test one's eyesight. I prefer to take a train myself.  ;D)
I couldn't find them in 1891.
Have you tried Grace's Guide for their jobs. Local directories?
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 June 20 01:50 BST (UK) »
I've found the family in 1891 in Horton-in-Ribblesdale by searching for Sarah, born Ireland. Previously I didn't find them in 1891 when I looked for William.
Horton was in Bradford Registration District; apologies. Bradford must have been an enormous district.
Was there a mill in Horton in 1891? Perhaps they travelled to work. There's a Horton history society.
Young William was only 10. He might have been a part-timer.
Father's job of overlooker was a kind of foreman.
There are lists of occupation definitions.

Cowban

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 June 20 08:46 BST (UK) »
I think it equally likely they were in Little Horton for Maria's birth in 1890 and then moved to horton in ribblesdale for the 1891 census.

Pauline

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 June 20 09:27 BST (UK) »
In the 1891 census I would suggest you look at the description of the enumeration district called Horton. It is part of Bradford and includes Little Horton. I think Horton in Ribblesdale is a red herring. The 1891 census sheet for the Mathers makes no reference to Horton in Ribblesdale. The civil parish is simply named as Horton and the municipal ward as Little Horton.

I would also suggest that you google Little Horton. Maps show clearly where it lies in modern day Bradford while Wikipedia has a useful description/ history of the area.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 June 20 09:47 BST (UK) »
Well, seeing the page makes it perfectly obvious its NOTHING to do with horton in Ribblesdale.

No wonder we had such trouble finding the 1891 census.
Pauline