Author Topic: Innkeepers / publicans of Hampshire in 1760s  (Read 556 times)

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Innkeepers / publicans of Hampshire in 1760s
« on: Thursday 11 June 20 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can anyone tell me if there is a record on Innkeepers for the New Alresford area of Hampshire covering the later 1700s.

In 1758 (following the death of her husband Edward King), my 5th Great Aunt Elizabeth King (nee Garrett) married a John Collyer (Innholder which I presume means Innkeeper) in New Alresford. John Collyer died in 1766.

I am wondering if Elizabeth continued to manage an Inn following the death of her husband?

Any help would be gratefully appreicated.

Many thanks

Richard
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts

Offline antiqueone

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Innkeepers / publicans of Hampshire in 1760s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 15:09 BST (UK) »
Have you seen this advert from 1766 in The Salisbury and Winchester Journal?
Green Kingsthorpe Northamptonshire, Dunkley Brington Northampton, Bunting Long Buckby Northamptonshire, Haycock Hellidon Northamptonshire, Osmond Hungerford Berkshire, Major Stockbridge Hampshire, Liddiard Eastbury Berkshire, Spackman Bromham Wiltshire

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Innkeepers / publicans of Hampshire in 1760s
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hi antique one

I had not seen that newspaper advert. So it appears that John Collyer's wife did not manage the pub after he died.

Thanks for your message.

Regards

Richard
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts