Author Topic: Ada Gray - parramatta girls home  (Read 2592 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Ada Gray - parramatta girls home
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 03:04 BST (UK) »
Could "Narrua" be handwritten?  If so, could it be "Narran" (so ending with 'n' )

Back in 1890s there was an Out Station in the Berwarrina area named NARRAN.  Near Narran Lake  :) :) :)
Near Walgett North .... County of Finch.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 03:38 BST (UK) »
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=831911.0 
re Johanna STANLEY and John William GRAY  it has the pdf  1886 d.c. with Narran NS Wales.

I will ask a moderator to move that thread from the Family History Beginners Board to the Australia Board.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 04:01 BST (UK) »

Offline Jadehayes94

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 October 22 11:26 BST (UK) »
I would love to see this paper?? I am her great great granddaughter.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 October 22 00:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Jadehayes94
The documents you wish to view are on Ancestry.
 This is the information they contain -

Parramatta Training School
Ada Gray: admitted from Sydney Court 22 May 1917
14 Years 1 month, born 22 April ‘03
A half-caste aboriginal absconded from home at Cootamundra – uncontrollable. Boarded out to Mrs Boden of Moore Park – Absconded.
Parents dead.  Education Poor.   Religion RC

Parramatta Training School
Ada Gray: Admitted 22 May 1917; Discharged 2nd Aug 1921. Discharged when 18 to her grandmother at Yass.

Additional background
https://www.parragirls.org.au/parramatta-girls-home
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Cetera

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 October 22 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

I had a copy of a page from I believe a parramatta girls home which had Ada Gray as being committed in 1917, but I have lost the page or link.

Can someone please look this one up for me, She may have been known as Ada Gertrude Gray and born in 22nd April 1903.  Her parents were Walter Gray and Florence Briar.  Anything on this home or the previous home or her details on her committal.  I also believe she married around 1921 (that's when she left the home).

There was a page from the book that stated she was an "uncontrollable half-caste aboriginal, absconded from home at Cootamundra.

Thanks for your help. :)

I am also looking for any of her siblings details that I Haven't already got.  They may have been born in NSW or Qld.  I have attached a list of them and what details I already have.  I can't find any birth certificates for any of them - but have gone by death certificates to get most of their approximate dates of birth.

Thanks in advance.

Ada Gertrude Gray  my great grandmother Parents are Walter Gray 2nd M.and Grace Briar (Florence). M: 16/09/1901
Frederick Albert Hill b1898 in Yass and his sister Violet Florence born 23.4.1900 are mistakenly listed as siblings but are infact the children of Walter Hill  and Grace Florrie Briar. I have no confirmed siblings of Ada Gertrude Gray nor the date she and George William Field were married.
Ada died of cancer of the liver on 13/09/1957 age 54. Buried as Ada Gertrude Bell at Botany General Cemetery Roman Catholic Section 29D grave no. 489.