Author Topic: Diary > Monday 15th June  (Read 2228 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Monday 15th June
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 15:56 BST (UK) »
That looks quite a good pattern... there are so many out there you just have to work out which one is best suited to your skill set and materials you've got around!
Not sure copy & paste is easy to do on an iPad as that's what I use...  eyebrows rarely use the actual laptop for anything these days. Thanks for the tip though much appreciated.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 21:58 BST (UK) »
Good to hear from you Annette7 and radstockjeff.

Interesting to read about your day Annette, although I do find it hard to read about sunbathing and another hot day! We've had very grey skies for several days and a lot of mist today, it was rolling in off the sea. I caught the end of the weather forecast that was promising another hot day, they seem to forget about us. Some heavy showers threatening further south I think. What are the Rootschat quizzes?  ???

Radstockjeff, good to have your perspective on things, I'm the same with things that I originally thought I'd tidy/sort out/file etc, it just hasn't happened. Part of that might be because we had such lovely weather at first but we recently had some very wet days and I still didn't do it. You seem very knowledgeable about the garden for someone who just helps out.  :)

Mowsehowse, you seem to be getting out and do some interesting things lately, that's great.

Caroline, what a picture you have conjured up about your husband removing the whole front of the house! Good to hear it turned out well.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 22:38 BST (UK) »
I went white, when I read about the alterations!
We had the whole front of the house removed ,some movement
and bowing as the gulley stones were huge, lead lined and so weighty they moved out .
It stopped the traffic, temporary traffic lights ,and one lane only.
It cost as much as the house!
It was the intense vibration from traffic stopped but engines running in the tea time traffic jam.The vibrations were awful.
Pictures dancing on the walls.
The front door lintel was huge , it was jacked up in situ .
The builder contacted the local quarry ,where the millstone grit stones had come from ,gave dimensions and they gave the weight .
It seems a lot but I seem to remember five tons !
You know I exaggerate , so that might be way out ,but it is huge .
How brave of your hubby to tackle that.
Roobarb, your NN is a dustbin fetishist!
Pity her. She is not on RootsChat!
We would not let her on anyway!
She is not welcome at our virtual party.
Details tomorrow of menu etc although as it is going to have to be pretty informal I think a Jacob’s feast is in order.
So all you bakers and butty makers can have free rein.
Until tomorrow.
Viktoria.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 23:47 BST (UK) »
Roobarb - the Rootschat quizzes are these:

https://funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=11335

Called Rootschat Challenge and on average around 40 people take part per day - I'm not particularly good but keeps the grey matter active.  The daily topics normally change fortnightly.  A few people seem to take it very seriously wanting to complete it in a fast time etc. etc. but think the majority are like me and just enjoy taking part whatever the outcome. 

https://funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=6856

This is titled 'LightSiders Quiz' but nowadays only a handful of people take part in this one.  Think this could be because always the same topic (funtrivia) plus everyone seems to get different questions which is why you never see any comments in the relevant box.   A pretty easy quiz.

Think anything we can do to stimulate the brain as we get older is a good thing.

As to the weather here in Suffolk, all of last week was wet, windy and cold so the fine weather here this week is a nice relief.   Tomorrow (Wednesday) supposed to be sunny again but cloudy by early evening and then heavy rain during the night.   Light rain Thursday morning and then sunny intervals.   Next few days forecast as mixture of cloud and sunny intervals.   

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 07:44 BST (UK) »
It was back to work for me. I work in a secondary school and we welcomed back our year 10s. About a 100 were in school but everywhere was so quiet. I helped supervise the key worker students we had about 15 today but that might rise. They have been in day after day and were pleased to see us as it was a change from the teachers that have stayed with them. Lots of chat from them.
 The year 10s left after 3 hours and will be back Tuesday so you could hear a pin drop. Feeling strange now, not sure how it will be going forward as we have 2000 people in school on a normal day......what will be normal now?

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 07:57 BST (UK) »
Tazzie, is this in UK?  Why did Year 10 leave after 3 hours?

Annette, I started doing the Rootschat Challenge a couple of years ago having seen it "advertised" in much the same way as this post.  I have just tried to look at the Lightsiders Quiz, but I don't think I can cope with logging in and out of things continually, which may be why so few people take part perhaps?

I shall try to work out how to do it on the tablet. Can't even see the writing on my phone!! 

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hi yes UK.
 We are staggering the numbers. They do 3 hours no breaks and then home .....repeat next day. Year 12 will be in next week. Our school is not easy to adapt for the return of all. Small corridors do no help the one way flow. It's baby steps to keep us all safe but Tuesday went well. Classrooms are cleaned and we have sanitizer everywhere. 10 to 15 classrooms needed each day and that's only part of a year group. When both year 10 & 12 in 20 to 25 will be set up for use.
 Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 08:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Tazzie.
Very complicated, and every school will have to devise their own system, as each building will be different, but the system may have to remain in place for quite a while.  :'(
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 10:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the links Annette, I'll have a go at them later when my brain is more in gear.

Tazzie, it's interesting to read about your return to school, I believe the schools around here are following the same sort of staggered system. I can't imagine what it must be like, quite a challenge for both students and teachers. I hope we hear from you again about how it's working out and the impact on you personally. Good luck with it. 
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales