Author Topic: Can you identify this music hall song?  (Read 594 times)

Offline delphi8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Can you identify this music hall song?
« on: Tuesday 16 June 20 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have found a newspaper article from 1888 which states that one of my ancestors sung a comic song called 'I'm Lost'. My ancestor was living in Montreal at the time but he originated from Lancashire.

I was wondering if any one here has ever heard of the song or can track it down please ?

Thank you.

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Can you identify this music hall song?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 17:13 BST (UK) »
Have a look at this site.  There is an alphabetical listing of old songs.  Lost crops up a few times.

https://monologues.co.uk/musichall/Songs-L/Alpha-L.htm
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline delphi8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 22:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks purlin, interesting site.

Offline Tabbicat26

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 19:38 BST (UK) »
Why don't you contact the British Music Hall Society with this enquiry?  When I was researching Bertha Willmott about 25 years ago I found the then secretary a source of much information which he was more than happy to share.
Oldham (Cornwall), Lovering (Cornwall & Cardiff), Kestle, Post, Brider, Woodhams (Kent & Surrey), Willmott (Exeter & Southwark) Rose (Lincolnshire)

Offline delphi8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 June 20 14:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you Tabbicat26 I will contact them to see if they have any information on the song or my ancestor.

Offline Tabbicat26

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 June 20 15:06 BST (UK) »
Max Tyler was the man who helped me so much and I've just discovered that when he died in 2018  his archive was given to the University of Kent and I believe they now have, or expect to receive, Roy Hudd's archive as well, so a likely source of good information, particularly about lesser known performers.  You can read the details on line by searching for "Max Tyler".
Oldham (Cornwall), Lovering (Cornwall & Cardiff), Kestle, Post, Brider, Woodhams (Kent & Surrey), Willmott (Exeter & Southwark) Rose (Lincolnshire)