Author Topic: Diary > Wednesday 17th June  (Read 481 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Wednesday 17th June
« on: Wednesday 17 June 20 22:43 BST (UK) »
Slept late this morning, caught up on missed sleep from the night before. Added yesterday's diary to Rootschat and read the news and a bit of my book. Went for my walk around lunch time, same as usual, not many people about, weather cloudy again, no jacket needed.

Had some lunch, found some space in the freezer for the extra portions of spag bol. Brought the bin through to the back, bins had been emptied late today, hope it doesn't mean that crew members are off sick. Did some gardening, put new batteries in the sonic cat scarer, they'd run down really quickly because I keep forgetting to turn it off when I'm in the garden.

A bit more work to my painting. Had fish for tea, I thought it would be lovely, it was some gastro thing. It was awful, mostly breadcrumbs and what fish there was was horrible, chewy. There were two pieces in the pack, I hate wasting food but I really don't want to eat the other portion. I'll stick to the bog standard supermarket own brand in future.

A friend rang this evening, had a long chat. Am trying to sort out email problems with help from Rootschatters. These things that are supposed to be simple never are.

Hope everyone has had a good day.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Wednesday 17th June
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 June 20 00:05 BST (UK) »
Well done Roobarb for starting today off...
Glad to hear your paintings coming along and you're still being so good about going out every day.... can't say I'm that good especially now O.H back to golfing! Quite miss our walks.... have to go with one of my village friends instead...

After all the excitement yesterday of three social events today's felt like a damp squib.... both OH and I felt very lack lustre and not really up to doing a great deal...
Weather ok, not cold but quite dreary... decided the bathrooms needed a good clean so did that .... not very exciting but a necessity...
Had lunch watching the news... same as usual can't say I listen too much these days... good to hear a 60 year old drug is going to be so helpful to those who are suffering most, everyone seemed cheered up by some positive news...
Decided we'd have a game of scrabble.... I won, scores getting closer...
rain started and was quite heavy so we had another game... which I also won  🙂Only 1 in it now so I'm closing the gap.... hooray.
Rain had stopped so we went up the garden and dug potatoes and picked broad beans and some beetroot...
We got 800g from one root of pots... pretty good
Used about half the broad beans for dinner and cooked the beetroots in the oven along with a large gammon joint, it'll leave enough to make sandwiches with or have with salad.
Nice to have all home produce, pots, b.beans, courgette, beetroot and carrots I'd got from green grocers.
Watched The Sewing Bee and A House Through Time, the latter programme has been very interesting this time with such a variety of people who'd lived there.... 200 over the 300 years that seems quite a lot to me, but with multi occupancy not too surprising.
Sewing Bee was interesting this week and they certainly were working with some tricky fabrics... I think any of the three left could win...
Well that's about the sum total of the day.... pretty boring and starting to get somewhat fed up with not being able to just pop out when you feel like it... not used to being cooped up at home..
Ah well House cleaning and sewing tomorrow.. yippee.
OH going to play golf.... maybe not looking at weather forecast... said he'd leave at 9 and be back home by half past!

Hope others have had a better day..

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 June 20 09:09 BST (UK) »
I suppose some days must be more humdrum than others, but to be progressing with art work, gardening and Scrabble must be good.  :)

Woken at 03:15 by a car door banging, then 3 times more in the next 15 minutes, so got up to see what was going on.  No people in sight, only a car parked on the yellow lines in the turning bay.  I should be grateful as H says he heard a phone conversation going on at one point as well.
Managed to get back to sleep until woken by a cacophony of dogs barking at 07:15.
Why are people so massively inconsiderate?
The apartment block is having the 5 yearly external decoration and at 08:00 a cherry picker loomed up past our balcony. Lucky I was dressed!  This should be interesting as previous contractors have used scaffolding, but as the building is curved, I really can't see how they are going to manage the entire frontage.  Fortunately due to the virus, none of the normal frequent coach tours are expecting to stop right there to admire the view,  as I can imagine the chaos that could cause!

I am feeling proud because I removed the seal trim off one of the shower doors to clean inside it. Gleaming now!  I shall do the other tomorrow..... something to look forward to!  Talk about small pleasures.
Had an arrangement to meet up with a friend ,at 11:00 but wouldn't you know it, another friend has called to ask if I am free to meet her.  this morning.  Ah well, another time hopefully.  It was so nice to sit and chat, despite intermittent drizzle, and bombardment from seagulls who were being encouraged to take food from the tables.  That must have been visitors/tourists as surely the locals are SO stupid?

On return, found husband and SiL having a cuppa and a natter.  Twice in two days could be a worrying trend, but nice to see her anyway.  The painters have disappeared, cherry picker and all. Wonder when we will be seeing them again.  Quiet afternoon, pottering, cleaning and family history research, while H gave on-line tutor session.

Had a walk along the front, no breeze and very quiet. I can report a full complement of ducklings and cygnets. Hurrah.
Repair Shop on TV, (always balm to the spirit,) and the other half of Foyle's War.

Enjoy today if you can. The secret satisfaction of gleaming bathrooms should be a tonic. :D

p.s. Annette... I did get into the LightSiders quiz without having to log out of the Challenge, but today (Thurs) it won't let me, so I probably fall at the first fence, unless it lets me later.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 June 20 14:12 BST (UK) »
Caroline, sorry to hear you were having a fed up day yesterday, I hope today is proving better for you. It sounds like a good idea for you to go for a walk with one of your village friends, I've often woken up feeling really low but when I've been out for a walk it lifts my spirits. Could you drag your husband out on the days he's not golfing? Or maybe even just go for a walk around the village on your own, it doesn't have to be a hike, just a short walk would give you a change of scenery. Wel done on the scrabble!

Mowsehowse, what a shock that must have been seeing the cherry picker right outside at that time of the morning! Well done on cleaning the shower door trim, those fiddly bits are so hard to get at. Great news that the ducklings and cygnets are all okay.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 June 20 14:39 BST (UK) »
Mowsehowse- I think you may need a good set of earplugs! Noise first thing in the morning particularly can be stressful! Our next door neighbours bins are against our fence and as I sleep in the back bedroom I hear them everytime their gate bangs and then the bin lids...... sounds like a recycle centre and they do have a habit of going out there numerous times in the early morning... go down knows why they can't do it all in one go instead of half a dozen times in five minutes.....
Good job you were up and dressed when the cherry picker arrived 😬😱.
Glad to hear the ducklings and signets are still in tact.
OH's golf club have a pair of swans nesting and every year the signets disappear after the fox gets them... last year was first time they all survived... not sure how the club managed to do that!

Roobarb- you're right I should make the effort to get out and I have been out on my own but much nicer with someone to talk to... I shall take your advice.... not today though as it's been pouring with rain since I got up!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK