Author Topic: Have I got the correct Ernest Garnett.??  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Sheila Whittingham

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Have I got the correct Ernest Garnett.??
« on: Friday 19 June 20 09:31 BST (UK) »
I am researching the Garnett family in Waterford.( husbands family).I have found the family who were Quakers and but was totally stuck on the name Ernest Garnett ,and thought I had found him,but then found my Ernest in England on the 1901 and 1911 census and it is him.
However I found a newspaper article in the Waterford Standard newspaper in 1934 regarding a Captain Ernest Garnett who was badly wounded in W.W.1 and came to live at Belle Lake House around 1921.I can find no information on this Capt.Ernest despite extensive searching,and am trying to find if he is related.
My Ernest died in 1963 in Tipperary.
As the Garnetts were Quakers i cant see how this Captain Garnett is the same family,but any info. or suggestions would be welcome.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Wynn.Wynne,Cowdrey,Cholerton,Stortz,Whittingham,Potter, Garnett,Flower,Gray,Given,Matthews,DeBruyne. Short.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Have I got the correct Ernest Garnett.??
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 June 20 10:27 BST (UK) »
There is a short story in the Waterford Standard of 18 March 1933 by Edward Garnett, who is described as 'formerly Headmaster at the Friends' School, Newtown' and the introduction goes on to say 'It is interesting to note that Mr. Garnett's father was similarly Headmaster of the same school for almost half a century.  He is brother of Captain Garnett, Belle Lake, who, as is known, served with distinction in the Great War.'.

So I'm assuming this is him:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1876/03041/2115231.pdf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 June 20 10:48 BST (UK) »
 Thankyou  Have just found the article.
Strange that Captain Garnett is  "my" Ernest as the family were Quakers, Captain Ernest was shot in the chest and had shell shock,and recieved a 60% disability pension, and had a distinguished war record but I cannot find him on any army records.He is living in Lancashire in 1911 as a clerk .If he was a Quaker,could he have been in the army in a non combatant role,stretcher bearer etc,although doubt he would have had such a high rank??  Hes a real mystery.
He died in 1963 Holycross Thurles Tipperary.

Wynn.Wynne,Cowdrey,Cholerton,Stortz,Whittingham,Potter, Garnett,Flower,Gray,Given,Matthews,DeBruyne. Short.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 June 20 10:55 BST (UK) »
There is a pension ledger index card for what looks like him, described as a Captain, Residence = Waterford, Corps, Regiment or Unit = 'Lancs Fus', Service Branch = 'Airforce'.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 June 20 11:21 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Gaffy.
That really does sound promising.
Ill let you know if I find him.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 June 20 11:28 BST (UK) »
I've looked at the original cards:

- one card lists him under the number OA 124155, with the number D.O. 2427C underneath, describes him as 'Capt' and 'Lancs Fus' and gives an address of what looks like '366 Slrelford Rd M/er', which I'm guessing may be Stretford Road in Manchester;   

- another card lists him under the number O.A.F. 103569, then underneath states the first number as above (O.A. 124155), describes him as 'Capt. Lancs Fus.', and gives his address as 'Belle Lake Rossduff Co. Waterford', the words 'Enquiry re Widows Pension' are written across the card.

One source online suggests that O.A.F. is Overseas Air Force.

He also appears in the British Army Lists, his DOB is given as 10 Jun 76 (which matches the birth posted at reply #1), and there are references to 'Lan. Fus.' and '(Mobd. Spec. Res. to 1 Dec 16 - 2 yrs. 62 dys.)'.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 June 20 13:28 BST (UK) »
He was living in South Manchester on the 1911 census. Stretford Road is in that area.
I found an E. Garnett born 1876 British army ..service number P83666  Block allocation type Officer but couldnt seem to get any further.
Many thanks

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 June 20 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,
There is a short story in the Waterford Standard of 18 March 1933 by Edward Garnett, who is described as 'formerly Headmaster at the Friends' School, Newtown'
This Edward was married to Edith Mary Halliday, they were in Dunmore Road, Waterford in 1901.
There is a Frederick Garnett with his family in Fethard town, he was a Soldier and born in England.
Are these your people?
Maggsie

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 June 20 14:01 BST (UK) »