Author Topic: DNA match numbers curiosity  (Read 334 times)

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
DNA match numbers curiosity
« on: Friday 19 June 20 10:00 BST (UK) »
OH & I had our DNA tested with Ancestry about 6 years ago.

The difference in the number of matches of 4th cousins or closer was 25 (100 versus 75).  Over the years the number of matches has increased by more than double yet the difference is now only 12 (234 versus 222).

It obviously depends on who has had their DNA tested but I find it strange that the difference as a percentage has got smaller.  Is there any other explanation?
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

guest189040

Re: DNA match curiosity
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 June 20 10:17 BST (UK) »
Just to compound your query some more, of those that share some of my DNA the vast number of them are related to me via the Cheshire families whose names you see in my signature.

So that is via one out of four Grandparents, each of whom is from a geographically distanced area of the UK to the others.

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DNA match curiosity
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 June 20 10:28 BST (UK) »
It may be that families that emigrated from the UK are more likely to do a DNA test.  As they are not part of our immediate families I haven't done much research into these branches.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk