Author Topic: Diary > Saturday 20th June  (Read 378 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Saturday 20th June
« on: Sunday 21 June 20 00:10 BST (UK) »
Managed to wake up a bit earlier today despite being later to sleep last night. Read my book and the news for a while then cleaned the bathroom, always seems to take ages.

Off for my walk, lovely warm and sunny day, not many people about which is unusual for a Saturday. Usual walk, nothing to report. Back home, spoke to my shopping friend, she's going to the supermarket tomorrow.

After lunch I looked at the Argos website to see if I could order a garden parasol, none of the suitable ones were available for delivery to my address in the last few weeks, neither was the base I want. I don't want one that weighs a ton that I'd have to womanhandle through the garage and across the garden, I want a plastic one that you fill with sand or water. None available in my area. I found a parasol that was suitable and could be delivered, I would have liked blue but couldn't get that so ordered the green one, same day delivery for the same price as it would be for next day delivery. Chose the 7pm to 11pm slot so it wouldn't interfere with anything else I was doing. Ended up ordering a base from Amazon, will have to wait till next week for that, it will probably be pouring down by then but at least I'll have a big brolly!

I fancied sitting outside reading my Kindle but as soon as I got out there it stated clouding over. Typical. Did some gardening then came inside and did some Pilates with a YouTube video. Haven't done any for ages but was inspired by Caroline resuming her Yogalates.  I had an email from my gym a few days ago, they're hoping to reopen soon and it outlined what measures they're putting in place. Limited number in exercise classes, my Pilates teacher already limits it to fifteen, I think it would have to be only about half of that. Already book in advance. Take your own mat, there will be time for staff to clean between classes. Gym has to be by appointment, limited number, cleaning in between. Sounds dreadful, I like to just pop into the gym when it suits me, I won't be going and the Pilates will have to wait too.

Did little bits of my painting, it's progressing albeit slowly.

Salmon for tea, the same seafood brand as the awful fish I had the other day. It was too salty, I won't buy that again.

Had an email from Argos about 15 minutes before the delivery slot, told me that my parasol would arrive between 7.12 and 9.12, it came midway between those times. Put it in quarantine in the garage.

Watched Gardeners' World, the disabled lady doing her gardening was fascinating, what an amazing woman. Not sure what I watched next but for some reason I was thinking about how few short sleeve T-shirts I have for everyday use. Went on M&S website, ordered three along with some undies that brought me over the £50 threshold for free delivery, due about next Friday.
(Amended - the Friday after next!  :-[ )

Longest day tomorrow, can't believe we're there already.

That's it, over to you folks, hope you've had a good day.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 20th June
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 June 20 01:22 BST (UK) »
My Roobarb, fancy Argos delivering the same day for no additional charge sounds great... pity you've got to wait for the base... we could do with a free standing one ours is through the table with no base. It's a wonderful as it's large but sometimes could do with moving it around... think we'd need a block of concrete as it weighs a ton...
Good to hear you did some Pilates... although you're good at walking too... unlike me... was going to go this morning but I didn't...
I agree with you about the lady on Gardeners world, she was a real inspiration wasn't she.... quite well off I think looking at her garden!

Today's diary

Woke reasonably early and nice to see the sunshine... OH had gone off to golf by the time I was up and I thought after breakfast I'd go for a walk....
Got weighlayed I'm afraid ... the admin girl from the scrubs group messaged me and I ended up phoning her and we were on the phone for nearly an hour....
by this time it was getting too late as I needed to dust polish and vacuum as the place was decidedly dusty...
That took me until gone 1pm...
Thought I'd have a look at various face covering patterns I'd been given and others I'd got...
Internet on and off again... 😤😤 getting frustrated with that..
OH home so late lunch..
Struggled on trying to watch YouTubes on face covering in the end I phoned sky and was told tgere was a fault outside the house they'd get it looked at... could take up to 5 days... as you can see it's now working otherwise I coukdnt post this...
Carried on and made up a few different ones using scraps to see best and quickest...
Sky phoned back regarding an outstanding debit/credit on our account we've been trying to resolve since NOVEMBER ... we'll imlost the plot and in the end OH delt with it.... hopefully now resolved.... not holding my breath...
Decided which one I'd make as they want Ines with slot to put a filter in... these are all going to different hospital clinic department, care homes, Age Concern, Nurseries, hospital staff with children those travelling on public transport etc etc. They are being made by the hundreds just in our area!
Then I'm back to more scrubs for local doctors surgeries.... looks like I'll be at this fir some time!
OH cooked dinner tonight... steak, chips and peas...
watched Kevin Kosner film 'Dancing with Wolves' .... seen it before but enjoyed it except it's a very long one!
Finished another little baby cardi just got to sew up now and put on buttons...
And so to bed...
Looks like the weathers going to get warm next week... just what I need to be inside sewing.... or maybe I will as supposed to reach 30C on Thursday!

Look forward to reading what everyone else has been up to today...
Fathers Day tomorrow... at least daughters got a card here on time this year! Son doesn't have a clue as it's not the same date in Oz...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 20th June
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 June 20 11:09 BST (UK) »
Didn't wake till 08:00. Gulp.  Hardly any dog walkers about.  I love it when the tide is high on weekend mornings!

Looking at my facebook page I found the exercise teacher had donned a flamenco dress and was dancing to a Samba tune, so I joined in and was only a little puffed by the end.  Good news to know I can manage 3 minutes of wild Samba, without collapsing in a heap.

Pouring with rain here, so had a debate with H where we might go after lunch, but no conclusions drawn.  It seems fairly obvious we have holiday makers as none of the locals would be playing in the water just wearing swimming shorts, on such a grey rainy morning.

Astonishingly the rain had blown away by lunchtime, and no more forecast, so we walked along to the end of Preston beach. The beaches and roads were very busy, and we reckoned probably about normal traffic for a Saturday in June.   So lucky, because a man was walking around the rocks where the oyster catchers feed, and he must have disturbed some, as they flew far closer to us than usual, and I was able to get some photos. 

Made a couple of greetings cards for friends with birthdays coming up.

Person in charge of the Morris group had a cunning plan for us all to meet at Hay Tor, (on Dartmoor) this evening, to celebrate the solstice.  Normally we would meet another team up there, dance in our costumes and then move down to the Hay Tor Rock pub nearby, to dance in the village there, but obviously none of that is possible this year. 

So most of the group met up not in costume, and without sticks.  The musicians were well distanced from each other, and from the dancers, and the dancers were so far apart we couldn't cover the distance in time to the music. But it was fun trying, and to see each other.  We sat in 2 spread out groups for a picnic after, and then a few of us walked up to, and around the Tor, before dispersing. Dry, but very windy up there, and a good job I took a woolly hat to wear.  What a tonic, certainly blew away the cobwebs, though I do need to work on my fitness levels. 

It's about a 40 minute drive for me, and on the way back I stopped off in the big Tesco store, (on the edge of Newton Abbot,) which was mercifully quiet it being after 8:00 p.m., and had no queues. 

Returning home I noticed the petrol gauge in my car is showing some movement for the first time since March!
Watched a "Young Montalbano" on TV, then checked the Internet hoping to find my family in Oz up and about so I could call them, but no luck.
Horrified to get an email telling me that a friend (locally,) has been discharged home after being hospitalised with Covid virus, despite she had been self isolating to shield her disabled children!!  What a nightmare!  I believe her to be the only person we know, (so far,) who has been tested positive and suffered in hospital from the virus.

Fantastic work Caroline. You put me to shame, but my excuse is that we only have one table in this tiny flat, and I shall need to push H off to set up the sewing machine. However, I have elastic, and shall get to it soon.

Amazing you got your sun parasol sorted Roobarb, in good time for the sunshine we are hoping for.

Hope you all have a good day.  :D

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.