Author Topic: Llangefni outbreak at 2 Sisters plant  (Read 502 times)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Llangefni outbreak at 2 Sisters plant
« on: Monday 22 June 20 08:28 BST (UK) »
It's very worrying to read that there has been a large outbreak of Covid-19 at the 2 Sisters chicken processing plant in Llangefni, on the Isle of Anglesey.

I have family on Anglesey, which makes it personally particularity worrying.

On a wider level though, the very worrying thing is the age demographic on the Isle of Anglesey of many retired people. Llangefni has the only Asda on the island and a number of the spouses of those who work at 2 Sisters also work at Asda, Lidl and Aldi in the market town of Llangefni.

The other very worrying thing is that the nearest hospital, Ysbyty Gwynedd in Bangor would be very hard stretched if it resulted in a great number of hospitalized cases.

It makes me wonder if Anglesey will be locked down longer to try and abate the spread of the virus, especially in light of the tourists who may start flocking there very soon.

Any thoughts?

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Llangefni outbreak at 2 Sisters plant
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 June 20 09:50 BST (UK) »
I've not been to Anglesey for many years (we used to go there on school trips to South Stack) but I can see how it could spread on the island and why you are concerned.

It seems that meat processing plants are a new focus, with outbreaks in plants in Wrexham, Leicester and Yorkshire. Also, I've read that there are some plants in Germany with outbreaks.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
Re: Llangefni outbreak at 2 Sisters plant
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 June 20 11:40 BST (UK) »
Meat processing plants in other countries too.  238 sites in US, 6 in Ireland, 2 in Canada, which processes 70% of all beef in Canada, also in plants in Spain, France and Germany and of course not to forget the Chinese meat market!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk