Author Topic: FamilySearch.org  (Read 515 times)

Offline Brendahitdq4

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FamilySearch.org
« on: Wednesday 24 June 20 17:17 BST (UK) »
FamilySearch.org has not worked since the middle of May, and they do not send any messages as to why.
I have a user name and password.
 "Search" is blank, "Sign in" has rotating rings. "Create account" "feedback" "Email" "help" go nowhere.
I have "Google chrome" and cookies.  I have anti-virus.
My computer is Windows XP.
I hope you can help me, thank you.

Offline Alan b

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: FamilySearch.org
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 June 20 20:35 BST (UK) »
Try clearing Google Chrome' cache as I am using Chrome and it works fine for me.To do this click on the 3 dots at the top right of the page, then go to More tools > Clear browsing data and make sure browsing history, cached image and files is ticked and then hit the Clear data button. After doing this close Google Chrome and then try again to access the site.
Bloomfield, Knights, Whitmore, Warner (Suffolk)
Hamlin (London, Yorkshire, Scotland, Suffolk)
Mattocks, Newick, Nutter, (Kent)
Mattocks (Staffs)

Offline AngusMcCoatup

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 June 20 15:44 BST (UK) »

It could be this. There has been no Chrome updates for XP for a number of years now so any change to a website for security reasons, for example, may render it incompatible.

Try the suggestions in the post above, but if you're still struggling to log in then you might need to upgrade to Windows 8/10 or switch to Linux.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 June 20 16:23 BST (UK) »

Unfortunately the latest version of Chrome to work on Windows XP was version 49 - the current version of Chrome is around 73.

Family search like many online entities have been phasing out support for older Browsers quoting security concerns as the primary reason. Family search state that for full functionality of their site in Chrome you need the current version or Current version -1 (ie v72 or 73) - they then have a sliding scale of functionality to the dreaded X - browser not supported.

If you haven't seen a "Browser not supported" message there may be hope and I would second the suggestion to try clearing cookies and cache.

or you could try their "lite" version at www.lite.fs.org