Author Topic: Abbott’s of Longford  (Read 2781 times)

Offline FLUFFY1234

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Abbott’s of Longford
« on: Friday 26 June 20 15:48 BST (UK) »
Mary Jane Heuston 1850-1930 my great grand aunt married John Abbott 1845-1936.
They had 12 children I have very little knowledge of many of the children.
Eliza born 1872-? she emigrated to America in 1901..  George 1874-1956 he went to Dublin
Fanny 1876-?... John James 1878-1943 ... William 1883-1883... Catherine 1884-?
Robert Henry 1885-1934 he died in America.... James 1888-?.... William 1889 -? He went to Dublin and worked for Guinness Brewery.
Thomas 1891-1951 he married Georgina Foster ... Arthur 1893-1945 he went to Dublin and also worked for Guinness Brewery married Catherine Lawrence.... Edward 1895-?

I could only find 2 marriages and still unsure of the deaths of several.
All were born around Drumdreg Co. Longford.
I found some of the family on both 1901 and 1911 Census. I obtained most of the information I have from Irish Genealogy.
The family were Church of Ireland.
Any assistance on where to look would be of great help.
Thank you.
Heuston,Wright, Murtagh, Moore, Bennett.Co.Longford.Byrne Co.Wexford.Devine Dublin.Hamilton, Cue,Good. Co. Cork

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
  • My Mum & Dad - George & May Veighey
    • View Profile
Re: Abbott’s of Longford
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 June 20 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My family came from Killeshandra, Co Cavan near Longford.
When I saw the posts about the Abbotts I remember my Dad used to talk about the Abbotts especially John and Dickie Abbott. I met some of the Abbotts on holidays to Ireland in my youth.
My Dad was Church of Ireland too. The family were always talked about in a lovely way.
If I can think of anything significant I’ll let you know good luck in your quest.
Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline FLUFFY1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 June 20 16:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply
Heuston,Wright, Murtagh, Moore, Bennett.Co.Longford.Byrne Co.Wexford.Devine Dublin.Hamilton, Cue,Good. Co. Cork

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 June 20 17:01 BST (UK) »
Have you looked on Guinness Genealogy
https://www.guinness-storehouse.com/en/archives/archives-genealogy
I just looked for William among date of birth and death it give his wife as Agnes

Marriage to Agnes Mary Sherlock 1929
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1929/09064/5279493.pdf
Brother George is a witness

Offline FLUFFY1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 June 20 17:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the link regarding William Abbott also working in Guinness Brewery.
Will also look at the marriage.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 June 20 17:40 BST (UK) »
The death for George Abbott in 1956 in Ballinalee, brother William as informant
funeral to St. John's and interned in adjoining cemetery is interesting as the brothers has a claim against the council which was reported in the newspaper on the 27th of October.
George had been living in a cottage on the farm in Glesa belonging to William (14 acres) but he had become ill two years earlier and had moved in with William, on the night of 29 June (Bonfire night) the cottage was burned down. The claim was dismissed.

Offline FLUFFY1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 June 20 17:59 BST (UK) »
Oh wow more tragic news I will see if I can get a copy of the article. My grandfather died in tragic circumstances burnt to death in his house in Drumdreg, he was a cousin to the Abbott brothers.
Thank you for your valued help.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 June 20 23:17 BST (UK) »
William is becoming a bit confusing the Guinness site gives his death as 14 July 1966, the Will Calendars give the address of William Abbott who died 14 July 1966 wife Agnes May as 273 Ashcroft Rd. Luton Balfordshire which should be Bedfordshire.
Clearly he wasn't living in Ballinalee when he died , so is he the same William that George was living with in 1956 did he sell up and move?
http://www.cigo.ie/pages/guide-to-wills-and-administrations/ choose 1966 and he's on page 3